A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist
Experience:  Researcher and genealogist for past 30 years
3157612

My Grandfather, Johann Braun born in Romanthon A Grasbach

Customer Question

My Grandfather, Johann Braun born in Romanthon B A Grasbach Bayern
Category: Genealogy
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name is***** and I will do whatever I can to try to help you. Jim (theFHRG) hasn't been online at Just Answer for a while now.
One specific piece of information is one fact, such as a date of birth, or a date of marriage. Determining if someone has family alive today is a huge undertaking that can involve hundreds of people. Also, births are not available to the general public until 100 years after the fact, so births after about 1910 (it takes a while to get them transcribed and online) aren't available at all. So there is no way to determine a birth after about 1910.
You may want to hire a genealogist in Germany who can obtain your power of attorney to research the original records (records are available to direct descendants). You can find vetted researchers at www.progenealogists.com or at www.apgen.org. Fees usually start at about $75 per hour.
Familysearch.org has microfilms of the church records for Bayern. There were 60 male Brauns born in 1882, but none of them listed as having been born on 19 December.
The best way to research your family is to start with what you know for sure: your own family. Then work backwards from there. That should give a fuller picture of the family so there is more to go on besides a birth date, particularly one for which there is no record online.
I did see a copies of the Bavarian WWI personnel records. However, it has Johann Braun born 19 Dec 1882 in Kemauthen, Regierungsbezirkamt (i.e. BA or "region") Griesbach, Germany. Perhaps someone doesn't read German and it got translated as Romanthon Grasbach? The town of Kemauthen still exists. Johann Braun remained single throughout the war records period. Since it was a common name ("***** *****") there is no way to tell when or who he married, or even where. Marriages were conducted in the parish where the bride lived.
If you have more information about your Johann Braun, I'd be happy to take a look at the records that are available. However, doing an entire family history from 1882 through 2015 (over 130 years) is beyond the scope of one specific piece of information.
Please let me know if you have questions or concerns.
All the best,
Schuyler
~