A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist
Experience:  Researcher and genealogist for past 30 years
3157612

My grandfather was born in a town called Switwangan, Germany

Customer Question

my grandfather was born in a town called Switwangan, Germany according to my uncle's birth certificate. I cant find this town on the internet. I think there was a typo or something on immigration. Any clues?
Category: Genealogy
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name is***** and I will do whatever I can to try to help you.
Do you have a copy of the birth certificate you can attach? Sometimes handwriting can be misread. Was Arthur from Bavaria? Do you have a copy of his marriage record, naturalization papers, etc.? Birth records for his children? Any of these might contain the actual name of the town where he was born. I've researched in Germany for over 30 years, and have never heard of Switwangen. It doesn't sound like a real place.
All the best,
Schuyler
~
Hello, again,
I have located his naturalization record, in which he states that he was born in Furtwangen, Germany. Furtwangen is in the southwest of Germany in the Black Forest region and is sometimes called Furtwangen im Schwarzwald.
The typo or poor transcription probably occurred on the birth record of Carl Heim, rather than the naturalization record, which is typewritten.
The city has a web site http://www.furtwangen.de/,Lde/586339.html but I'm afraid it is all in German. It's in a beautiful area of Germany and I do hope you will be able to visit there some day.
Please let me know if you have questions or concerns.
All the best,
Schuyler
~