A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist
Experience:  Researcher and genealogist for past 30 years
3157612

Could you tell me where I can find documented that my grandfather

Customer Question

Could you tell me where I can find documented that my grandfather was in charge of Ft. Moultrie around 1916-1920. His name is***** Thompson and my mother was born in 1909 at Ft. Dade for which I have documented proof. Her name was Elton Alma Thompson and I know that she and her siblings attended Ashley Hall Girls School as did her 4 other sisters and her brother attended Porter Gaud. I was born and raised in Miami, Florida and ironically my husband Joseph W. Berry, Customer, was in the Coast Guard and stationed as the Officer in Charge at Sullivan'ns Island Lighthouse until the Historical Society took it over after the lights were automated and maintain everything except turning the lights off in the morning and turning them in the evenig. Any guidance you can give me such as archives or historical documents that would prove he was there. I will be over that way in the next few days to scatter a small amount of his ashes there where he loved it so much. Thank you
Category: Genealogy
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name is***** and I will do whatever I can to try to help you.
Your grandfather's military record should contain all of his appointments including the one at Fort Moultrie. The fort was maintained by the military through 1947, so anything prior to that would be in military records. You can read more about getting his military record here: http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/
All the best,
Schuyler
~