Shirley
Shirley, Genealogy Consultant
Experience:  Help with your Genealogy and Family History research.
69545677

Hi, I am trying to track down a John McGeoghegan born in 1837

Hi, I am trying to track down a John McGeoghegan born in 1837 in Co. Tyrone and married a Mary born in 1843 in Co. Monaghan. How do I track them down?
Category: Genealogy
Expert:  Shirley replied 1 year ago.

Shirley :

Hello and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be doing the research on your question. If I need additional information I will contact you. Thank you, Shirley

Customer:

Thank you, Matthew.

Shirley, Genealogy Consultant
Experience: Help with your Genealogy and Family History research.
Expert:  Shirley replied 1 year ago.

Hello Matthew,

A birth certificate as we know it today is not what you would be looking for in Ireland in the 1830's. You would most likely find John's proof of birth in parish
records. However, it does not appear that this record is online, and it may not
exist at all. Many of Ireland's records have been destroyed over the years by
both war and fire. You do have every English census from 1861 to 1911 and the recording of his birth year on his death record;

England & Wales, Death Index, 1916-2007

Name: John McGeoghegan

Birth Date: abt 1838

Date of Registration: Mar 1927

Age at Death: 89

Registration District: Lanchester

Inferred County: Durham

Volume: 10a

Page: 441

If you had the means to hire a professional researcher to do onsite research for you, you might get lucky and get a copy of the page from the parish register that John's birth and/or christening are recorded on. Until that occurs, you are fortunate to have the "proof" that you already have.

Sincerely,

Shirley

Expert:  Shirley replied 1 year ago.
Hello Matthew,

I am just following up with you to see how your research is going. I hope my answer was helpful.

Thank you,
Shirley