Shirley, Genealogy Consultant
Experience:  Help with your Genealogy and Family History research.

looking for the father,JamesShea who married a woman Mary.

looking for the father,JamesShea who married a woman Mary. We have no last name or dates of birth ,marriage or death. They had a son Barthalomew Shea born about 1831 and died in Galong, Australia ,September 9,1882. He married Margaret Delohery, born about 1834 and died February 26,1906. They married February 2,1855

Shirley :

Hello and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be doing the research on your question. You have provided excellent information and if I need anything further, I will contact you.

There is very little evidence (online) that James Shea ever existed, but at least there is evidence. I located three document(ation)s that provide information on
James Shea.

New South Wales, Australia, Assisted Immigrant Passenger Lists, 1828-1896

Name: Bartholomew Shea

Birth Year: abt 1827

Age: 28

Arrival Date: 19 May 1855

Vessel Name: Matoaka

Origin Location: Lattra, County Tipperary, Ireland

This document also says that Bartholomew, was born in Drumcliff, County Clare, Ireland. He was working the voyage as a shipman. He had a sister named XXXXX XXXXXving in Sydney. His father was dead and his mother was living in Drumcliff.

Griffith's Valuation of Ireland - Drumcliff, Clare County

There are four people listed with the surname Shae;

Anne Clonroad More

John Clonroad Beg Town of Ennis Turnpike Road

Mary Clonroad Beg Town of Ennis Turnpike Road

Michael Clonroad Beg Town of Ennis Market Place

We find Bartholomew's mother, Mary Shae, living in Drumcliff, Clare County, Ireland in 1855 with John. He is probably a relative. He could be her son or he could be James' father, her father-in-law.

Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1911

Name: James Shea

Gender: Male

Baptism Date: 1 Jan 1801

Baptism Place: Roman Catholic, Killarney, Kerry, Ireland

Father's Name: John Shea

Mother's Name: Nora Coggin

FHL Film Number: 823809

This is the only record for birth I located for a James Shea that would fit the years to be Bartholomew's father. Considering the Penal Laws and the fire at the Public
Records Office, you are very fortunate to have this information, without having to travel to Ireland. However, this is not enough proof if you want to proliferate or publish the information. If that is your intent, I suggest you hire a researcher in Ireland who can do onsite research for you.

Thank you,

Hello Diane,

I'm just following up with you to see how your research is going. Please let me know.
Thank you,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can not seem to find anything past Nora Coggin and John Shea

No date of births or deaths.

Thank you

Hello Diane,

As I said before records are sparse, but if you would like me to take another look, I will.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If you could that would be geat. Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
looking for the birth date and parents of James Shea who died around 1882&1885. was living in clare castle. He married a woman Mary who went to live at the "Turnpike"Ennis,County Clare:Clonroad Beg: Ennis Town: Turnpike Road (Drumcliff parish)with a man named James who could have been her father-in-law,uncle or son.I'm not sure but I think her last name could be Murphy.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The only other info I have is that they had a son Bartholomew born approx 1831 and died in Galong, Australia 20/09/1882. And had 2 daughters, Mary and Cathrine. I have no info on them except Cathrine came to Australia as well on the Matoaka, 19 of May,1855. Mary was already living in Australia.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Shirley,

Since I last got in touch with you I found out that James Shea married Mary Lillis and a date of 1868 which must be the year she died.But I still can not find out who James father or mother was. From what I have so far is James married Mary and had 3 children, Bartholomew , born 30,July,1827 and died in Australia 20,September,1882 and was married to Margaret Delohery in 1855 and died 1907 and had 10 children.They came to Australia on the ship Matoaka. James and Mary and Cathrine but I have no dates. Is this of any use?

Hope to hear from you ,

Hello Diane,

I have been out of town and I arrived home late last night .I just received your messages this morning. I will combine this information with the original information you gave me and I should have an answer for you later today or tomorrow.

Thank you,

Hello Diane,

I apologize for the delay.

James Shea, son of John Shea and Nora (C)Goggins, was born on 1 January 1801 in Killarney, Kerry, Ireland and Married Mary Lillis.

John Shea was born in 1782 in Kerry, Ireland. He was Roman Catholic. He married Nora Goggin on 24 February 1800 in Killarney, Kerry, Ireland and died in 1872 in Yougal, Ireland.

Nora Goggin was born in 1782 and died in 1867 both incidents taking place in Castletown Bearhaven, Cork, Ireland.

Sources used;

Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1911 - James Shea

Griffith's Valuation of Ireland - Drumcliff, Clare County - John Shea

Ireland Marriages, 1619-1898 - John Shea

United Kingdon, Chelsea Pensioners' Service Records, 1760-1913 - John Shea

Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958 - John Shea

Thank you,