Shirley, Genealogy Consultant
Experience:  Help with your Genealogy and Family History research.

How do I find records from an orphange? I have been told that

How do I find records from an orphange? I have been told that my late father was in an orphanage in the Buffalo, NY area. I have located a possible hit on a census showing St. Malachy's in Rockaway, NY. Is it possible for me to pursue this lead? If so, how? Thank you.

Shirley :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX to Just Answer. I had a similar situation in my own family. The person had spent a few years of their youth on a boys farm. The first thing you need to do is find out if the orphanage is still operating. If it is, contact them and tell them that you would like the records of your Dad's stay. Ask what they require in order for you to obtain the records. If the place is no longer operating, you are going to have to do some digging to find out the ownership of the institution. If it was a state run facility it should be easier to locate the records as opposed to a privately operated business. Please let me know if you need help with the research as I am very interested in what you discover. Thank you, Shirley

Thank you