Brendan Joseph
Brendan Joseph, Consultant
Experience:  Brendan has worked as an expert for Ancestry.com specialising in Irish / British/ Canadian / Australia/ American research.
70223666

My family lived in Rohatyn at least from 1880. I am looking

My family lived in Rohatyn at least from 1880.
I am looking for census from this year till 1945 that will show me my family members who lived in Rohatyn. My family name is Eichenstein

Amalia Gordoni
Israel

Hello Amalia,

There is only one country in the world that has released a census breaking the 100 year rule, that is the US. There are no census returns for Rohatyn.

There is a very good book on Rohatyn in Jewishgen, it includes members of the Eichenstein family.

http://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/rogatin/Rohatyn.html#TOC-Names

There is an index to surnames.

Brendan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I know already about Yizkor book an there I have found the name Veronica Eichenstein, but I do not know the relationship between her and the other two names -Giza & Nuni.

I know that the Udenrat in Rohatyn had a mission to make census of Rohatyn jewish population but I did not find it.

If you know another source I will be much oblighed.

Amalia.

Hi Amalia,

I see we are both members of Jewishgen, if there was a census I would think Jewishgen would have the details.

There are 160 different people researching their Jewish familys in Rohatyn, a number are Israel based. Why not set up a small group of Israel based researchers and pool your resources, you can contact them through Jewishgen.

There may be a census record, they will know if there is. It looks like there was only one small Eichenstein family in Rohatyn.

Brendan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello

There is the Rohatyn Research Group in U.S.A and they are making a good Job but even them could not help me although they are connected and very effective.

Anyhow ' thank you

Amalia

Hi Amalia,

You have a good headstart, you are multilingual, is there a Jewish community in Rohatyn now, if there is you could contact the Rabbi, he may have access to old records.

Brendan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Brendan

Thank you for your advice, I shall try it.

Thanks a lot

Amalia.

Hi Amalia,

The best of luck with your future research.

Shalom

Brendan