Shirley
Shirley, Genealogy Consultant
Experience:  Help with your Genealogy and Family History research.
69545677

how do i find my family history in Scotland so far its only

how do i find my family history in Scotland so far its only England
Category: Genealogy
Expert:  Shirley replied 1 year ago.

Shirley :

Hello and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be doing the research on your question. Why do you think your family comes from Scotland? If you want to give me some details, I can do a little research for you and see what I can come up with. Thank you, Shirley

Customer:

HI SHIRLEY

Customer:

I was told the original name was Algeo from Rome and the Algie family settled in Renfrew.

Customer:

Thank you Irene

Shirley :

Hello Irene, How much experience do you have with genealogy research? Knowing this will enable me to better answer your question. Thank you, Shirley

Expert:  Shirley replied 1 year ago.

Hello Irene,

I found plenty of people in Renfrew, Renfrewshire, Scotland with the surname Algie. However, that does not mean that you are related to them nor does it prove that your family came from Scotland. When doing genealogy research, we do not start with the past and work forward. We always start with "the known" and work back. It is the only way you can provide true evidence of the family connections. You start with yourself and your parents and siblings. Then you do your parents' parents (your grandparents), then your great-grandparents, and so on.

Genealogy research is a series of steps that are repeated again and again. The first of which is to set a clear focused goal. This goal will include the name of the person you are researching, a time period, a location, and what you want to find (a birth date, marriage date, spouse's name, etc.). The second step is to decide which record would contain that information or which source to use. The third step is to figure out where the record you are looking for would be kept. Which repository can you find it in, i.e. the courthouse, the library, state archives, etc. Step number four is to search the location/source. Step number five is copy the information. If you haven't
done this before, make a photo copy of the information. After you learn what information is important you can transcribe, abstract, or extract the information instead of making a copy of the entire document. Step six is very important. Evaluate the information in the document. Look at each piece of recorded data as a clue, especially when using census records. You will usually discover more clues. Step seven is to use the results or your search to direct you to more records and more searches. Step eight is organizing the information you have found. You must place it into context with all of the other facts. You will reorganize as new information is discovered.

I have attached a copy of a Family Group Sheet and a Source Summary. The Family Group Sheet - each piece of information, concerning a family member, is placed on this sheet. The Source Summary - enables you to refer quickly to information you have found and the sources of that information. I have found both of these to be invaluable when doing research. I hope all of this is helpful and I wish you luck with your research.

Sincerely,

Shirley

Attachment: 2013-09-11_041058_family_group_sheet.pdf

Attachment: 2013-09-11_041140_source_summary.pdf

Shirley, Genealogy Consultant
Experience: Help with your Genealogy and Family History research.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Shirley if I need to talk to you again how do I reach you,

Once again Thank you for your help. Irene

Expert:  Shirley replied 1 year ago.
Hi Irene,

I'm just following up with you to see how your research is going. Please let me know if my answer was helpful. If I can be of further assistance, just request me when you list your next question.

Thank you,
Shirley