Brendan Joseph
Brendan Joseph, Consultant
Experience:  Brendan has worked as an expert for Ancestry.com specialising in Irish / British/ Canadian / Australia/ American research.
70223666

Can anyone identify a coat of arms? It is on a glass goblet

Can anyone identify a coat of arms? It is on a glass goblet that has been in my family for more than 100 years. It was represented as being from Russian royalty, but I think it is more likely German. Can anyone recommend an appraiser?
Category: Genealogy
Expert:  Angela--Mod replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. Please let me know and I will assist further. Thank you!

Best,

Angela

Expert:  Brendan Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Hello there,

I have studied Heraldry at college, I have a view bit I am not certain. I have sent the photo to a friend who is head of the College of Arms in London, I will be back to you as soon as I receive his appraisal.

Brendan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would really like to learn something of the history of this goblet. Identifying the coat of arms seems like a good start. There was an interesting story that accompanied the goblet: Russian royalty, unbreakable glass, a glass craftsman tortured for his secret - perhaps just a story, but interesting nonetheless. Ultimately I would like to learn if the goblet has any significant value.

Hello there,

Reply below from my friend in the College of Arms London. There is no identifying mark to say whether the coat of arms is Russian, German or Polish.

The coat of arms is incomplete, there is no motto, one big clue are the "two trunks ragully couped issuant in bend and bend sinister argent." argent is the colour gold.

I have only ever seen them in a Swiss or Czech coat of arms.

I believe if they were a royal coat of arms there would be more detail. As you live outside the jurisdiction. you can claim the coat of arms for yourself

Baz's opinion

The arms and crest may well be as genuine as any from these countries. Don't let the poor quality artwork put you off. Without any heraldic authority to guide them their ancestors will have just done what they wanted. Given the passage of time they could - just - claim the right to have it granted in certain countries, although no herald worth his salt would allow the arms as they stand. However, if they have been used for so long outside the jurisdiction of any authority, then they have some validity. Anyone in the US can assume any arms they want, after all.

The arms are obvious despite bending the law of tincture to breaking point. The crest is, I suppose, a bend ragully and bend sinister ragully argent issuant from the wreath. Or maybe better... two trunks ragully couped issuant in bend and bend sinister argent.
Mantled Gules lined per pale Or and Argent. (The College of Arms prefers to say lined rather than doubled now.)

Brendan
Hello there,

Please mark the question as answered, I will then get credited for my research.

Brendan
Brendan Joseph, Consultant
Experience: Brendan has worked as an expert for Ancestry.com specialising in Irish / British/ Canadian / Australia/ American research.