Brendan Joseph
Brendan Joseph, Consultant
Experience:  Brendan has worked as an expert for Ancestry.com specialising in Irish / British/ Canadian / Australia/ American research.
70223666

how do i look up church records in Ireland Galway from Aus

how do i look up church records in Ireland Galway from Australia

Hello Kathryn,

I will research your question, I live in Ireland, I will be back to you if I need further information.

Brendan

Hi Kathryn,

Where in Galway did Richard & Ellen marry?

Brendan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

All I have is Galway Ireland on their death certificates and on their .children's birth certificates. both were buried in Roman Catholic cemetries so I am guessing in A Roman Catholic Congregation

Hi Kathryn,

Irish records are a little bit hit and miss, I have located Ellen Madden's baptism record 1844 in Ballinasloe, Galway her father was not called John.

Probably the most important record, I have located Michael Dwyer and Catherine O'Briens marriage record in Menlough, Galway 1841. The O's in Irish names only started early 1860's

We are not allowed buy BMD records on JA, I am giving you the link

http://galwayeast.rootsireland.ie/

You register for free, records cost 5 euro

Michael Dwyer & Catherine O'Brien 1841

Ellen Madden 1844 Parish Ballinasloe

Brendan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for your efforts , good to know about th O in the name some of the descendants dropped it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have just traced their daughers birth certificate which states married in county Galway on the 12 july 1862 and that on the 9th October Richard was 21 being born in 1842 County Galway and Ellen 19 Being born in 1844

Hi Kathryn,

Civil registration started in Ireland for Catholics 1864, I have checked the online marriage records for Galway, their marriage does not turn up. The record may be on microfilm in the National Library in Dublin.

I have located Richards parents marriage 1841 and Ellen's baptism record 1844, details how to access the records above, they cost 5 euro.

Brendan