Brendan Joseph
Brendan Joseph, Consultant
Experience:  Brendan has worked as an expert for specialising in Irish / British/ Canadian / Australia/ American research.

Family history is that Francis Overkott was a soldier coming

Family history is that Francis Overkott was a soldier coming home ww1 fell ill on board ship and died and was buried at sea .all those that had any knowledge of relevant details have long gone but descendants would like to find out date and details of this part of our history would appreciate help
Hello there,

I will research this question, I will be back to you if I need further information.

Hi Elsie,

Francis turns up in the Boer war medal lists, he served in the Boer war 1899 / 1902

He died on board the H S Avoca on the way back from South Africa.

His full military record is available from the MOD it costs £30

UK, Casualties of the Boer War, 1899-1902 about F Overkott
Name: F Overkott
Casualty Type: Died
Casualty Date: 23 May 1902
Casualty Place: H. S. Avoca
Rank: Private
Force: South Africa Field Force
Regiment: Cornwall's Light Infantry
Battalion: 2nd Battalion
Number: 6081

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello Brendan , thank you so much for your help .I had not considered the Boer War as I thought Francis would have been too young , forgetting that they had young drummer boys in those days . once again thank you so much .Elsie Best
Hi Elsie,

He does not turn up in the 1901 English census because he was in South Africa, he had died before the 1911 census.

Thank you very much for your very kind rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dear Brendan. I have rated your service when you finished the search me I rated a five and glad to do that again
Hi Elsie,

Thank you very much for your kind rating, if you need further research please mark the question "For Brendan"