UKancestors
UKancestors, Consultant
Experience:  I am a professional genealogist in the UK with 15 years of experience in this field.
66199147

When did birth records start Being recorded in Worcestershire

When did birth records start Being recorded in Worcestershire uk
Category: Genealogy
Expert:  UKancestors replied 1 year ago.

UKancestors :

Hi. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a professional genealogist based in Warwickshire. I am just going to have a look at the Worcestershire records and get back to you.

UKancestors :

To answer your main question, the parish register baptisms for the parish of St. Augustine, Dodderhill go back to 1651 and are available on microfilm at the Worcestershire History Centre. However, the International Genealogical Index lists transcripts of many parish registers across the country and I have managed to find the following baptism record:

UKancestors :

George Price - baptized 27 March 1836, Dodderhill Parish.

UKancestors :

Parents: James Price & Mary.

UKancestors :

I'm just going to see if I can find James and Mary's marriage...

UKancestors :

I can't find the marriage right now - but I have found all the other children of James and Mary. If you'll bear with me I will try and list these in chronological order!

UKancestors :

William Price bapt. 3 Nov 1834

UKancestors :

Mary Anne Price 4 Mar 1838

UKancestors :

Charles Price 2 Aug 1840

UKancestors :

Sarah Price 23 Apr 1843

UKancestors :

Emma Price 2 Feb 1845

UKancestors :

Henry Price 6 Dec 1846

UKancestors :

Ellen Price 1 July 1849

UKancestors :

James Price 10 Feb 1851

UKancestors :

Alfred Price 6 Mar 1853

UKancestors :

This gives an approximate marriage date of 1830-1834. I shall have another look....

UKancestors :

There is a marriage at St. Swithins in Worcester on 25 Oct 1832 for a James PRICE and Mary Ann HUNT. There is also a marriage in Bromsgrove parish on 13 Oct 1834 for a James PRICE and Mary PACKWOOD.

UKancestors :

Bromsgrove is closer to Dodderhill - but the marriage takes place just before the baptism of their first child. Quite possible, but I can't be sure of either of these marriages. I will see if I can find James and Mary on the census....

UKancestors :

I have found James and Mary on the 1851 census. This tells us that James was born in about 1811 in Bromsgrove, and that Mary was born in about 1816 in Upton Warren. This makes the marriage in Bromsgrove even more likely.

UKancestors :

I have checked the IGI and find that a Mary PACKWOOD was baptized in Upton Warren on 31st March 1816, the daughter of William and Elizabeth. This pretty much confirms that the marriage is the right one.

UKancestors :

There is a baptism for James PRICE on 25 Feb 1810 at Bromsgrove, the son of William and Elizabeth Price.

UKancestors :

I would strongly suggest that at some point you acquire copies of the original parish registers of the above records. Worcestershire record office should be able to copy these for you for a fee - or you could request a local genealogist to visit the record office for you and perhaps do further research if you are unable to get there yourself.

UKancestors :

If you want to use the IGI records yourself, they are available at familysearch.org.

UKancestors :

Just to complete the information - I am using parish register records as civil registration ( the legal registration of births, marriages and deaths) did not start in England until July 1837. Before this date we are mostly dependent on parish registers. Potentially, parish registers can go back to the mid 16th century, but it differs from parish to parish as many early ones have been lost, damaged or destroyed. Sometimes they have faded and are very difficult to read! If you need any more help or have any questions please don't hesitate to ask for me again. I hope I have been of help to you, and I wish you much success with your continuing searches.

UKancestors, Consultant
Experience: I am a professional genealogist in the UK with 15 years of experience in this field.