A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist
Experience:  Researcher and genealogist for past 30 years
3157612

I am looking for the birth record and place of XXXXX XXXXX

I am looking for the birth record and place of XXXXX XXXXX staines ager born 1870. Immigrated to Canada in 1882. Father Thomas Staines Ager and Mother Sarah Kitney. Our records say he was born in Dublin but I suspect that was where he departed.
Category: Genealogy
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. Please let me introduce myself. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to try to find an answer to your question.

Can you tell me where in Canada did XXXXX XXXXX Staines Ager live after he arrived in 1882 and until he died?

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Schuyler

ξ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He lived in the Morris-Silver Plains district, The Pas and Bowsman, Manitoba, Canada. But I am really interested in his birth records and the family he left behind in Ireland.

Yes, I understand that you are interested in where he came from, was born, etc. However, usually the only way to learn that is to trace him backwards step by step.

Thanks so much for the additional information. It will take me a while to search all the records. The good news is that civil registration in Ireland was required after 1864, although not everyone complied with the law, so there should be both a civil record of his birth as well as a parish record of his baptism.

You will get another email from me when I'm done searching. In the meanwhile, you may get automated emails from Just Answer requesting you to rate my service. Those are sent automatically to every customer whether they are asking a simple question that can be answered in one or two words ("From which direction does the sun rise in the Western Hemisphere?") to ones like genealogy questions that routinely take hours to days to complete. When you get an email from me, it will have the character "ξ" after my signature. If it doesn't, you may ignore the email.

I'm excited about getting started on your ancestor. We'll keep our fingers crossed that the information will be readily available.

Have a great day!

Schuyler

ξ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you,

Marian

Hi, Marian,

Did he marry in Canada? Who?

Children's names?

I want to make sure I have the right one Smile

Schuyler

ξ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He married XXXXX XXXXX in March 23,1905 in Swan River, Manitoba, Canada. They had 3 children: Thomas, Adelaide and Frances. Johnson is spelled in various ways but the correct way is Johnson.

Marian

Hi, Marian,

That is the one I had found in the 1916 census. Oddly enough I don't find him in a census in Canada from his supposed arrival in 1882 until his marriage to Elizabeth in 1905.

Also, do you know his occupation? It said in 1916 that he was an engineer.

I am finding lots of William J. Ager/Agars born about the right time in Manitoba though.

I don't find him in any passenger list in the 1880s.

Thanks for any additional insight.

Schuyler

ξ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This fellow is elusive. I suspect he was from Northern Ireland as he was Protestant. I have heard that the Irish records are just starting to come on-line and searchable. Ager is not an ethnic Irish name. I believe it is of Anglo origin.

So we are giving up then?

Marian

HI,

No, I'm like a dog with a bone. I don't give up easily. I've got some more ideas I want to pursue.

For instance, I am wondering if he really was an immigrant or if his parents were. I'm also curious if he were in the country from 1882 onward how he managed to avoid the census-taker in 1891 and 1901. One census, maybe. Two in a row is unheard of. If he arrived in 1882, he would have been a boy of 12. It's very unlikely that a child that age would be traveling alone.

Have you obtained his death record? Sometimes that will list place of birth. Just grabbing at straws here Undecided

Schuyler

ξ

Hello again,

Still at it Smile

I am intrigued by this 1901 census for Westbourne, Macdonald district, Manitoba

• Magnus Anderson 29 M Head Occupation: farm labourer Cree/ob (i.e. Ojibwe) Indian (all the Andersons born Manitoba, Everyone in the houshold was listed as Church of England)
  • Katherine Anderson 29 F Wife Cree Indian
  • Winfree Anderson 5 F Dau Cree Indian
  • Wm. C. Anderson 3 M Son Cree
  • Rubena H. Anderson 1 F Dau Cree
  • Edward Johnston 29 M b 29 Sep 1871 in Manitoba Cree Indian Boarder Occ: Farm painter [Actually, it looks like "farm laborer" to me.]
  • Thomas C. Dahl 23 M brother-in-law Cree b Manitoba Occ: farm labourer
  • William Ager 30 M "Guest" occupation Engineer b Ontario Racial/tribal origin: Irish
    -

In the 1891 census, Magnus (age 20) was listed as Canadian with no mention of being Cree. He was a farm laborer and listed with his brother Henry (age 16) as boarders in the household of John (age 32) and Catherine (22) Ritchie in Westbourne. John Ritchie was an engineer from Ireland. In subsequent censuses, his racial/tribal origin was listed as Scottish. Magnus and Henry were the sons of Charles (b abt 1827) and Ann (b abt 1831) in Manitoba. They were also listed as Scottish.

Tracing Edward Johnston to see if he had a sister Elizabeth hasn't been fruitful. There are too many of them, and many Canadian records are not available online.

The Manitoba records database mentions that not every detail available on the record itself is listed in the database, and one needs to order the record itself to see if there is more. (There's a "gotcha" if ever I heard one!). Here are the record numbers for the two marriages of XXXXX XXXXX Ager in Manitoba:

DETAILED MARRIAGE INFORMATION

REGISTRATION NUMBER: 1905-002642

MARRIAGE DETAILS
Place of Marriage: SWAN RIVER
Date of Marriage: 23/03/1905
PERSONAL DETAILS
GROOMBRIDE
Last Name: AGERLast Name: JOHNSTONE
Given Names: XXXXX XXXXX STAINESGiven Names: ELIZABETH
Marital Status: Marital Status:
Religion: Religion:
Date of Birth: Date of Birth:
Age: Age:
Place of Birth: Place of Birth:
RESIDENCE BEFORE MARRIAGE
GROOMBRIDE
City/Province/Country: City/Province/Country:
FATHER'S DETAILS
GROOMBRIDE
Last Name: AGERLast Name: JOHNSTONE
Given Names: THOMAS STAINESGiven Names: ROBERT
Place of Birth: Place of Birth:
MOTHER'S DETAILS
GROOMBRIDE
Maiden Last Name: KITNEYMaiden Last Name: CUNNINGHAM
Given Names: SARAH ANNGiven Names: EMILY
Place of Birth: Place of Birth:
OFFICIANT DETAILS
Officiant's Number:
Officiant:
Officiant Address:
Denomination:
Date of Registration: 23/03/1905

REGISTRATION NUMBER: 1927-062090

MARRIAGE DETAILS
Place of Marriage: SWAN RIVER
Date of Marriage: 07/12/1927
PERSONAL DETAILS
GROOMBRIDE
Last Name: AGERLast Name: WOOD
Given Names: XXXXX XXXXXGiven Names: ISOBEL
Marital Status: Marital Status:
Religion: Religion:
Date of Birth: Date of Birth:
Age: Age:
Place of Birth: Place of Birth:
RESIDENCE BEFORE MARRIAGE
GROOMBRIDE
FATHER'S DETAILS
GROOMBRIDE
Last Name: Last Name:
Given Names: Given Names:
Place of Birth: Place of Birth:
MOTHER'S DETAILS
GROOMBRIDE
Maiden Last Name: Maiden Last Name:
Given Names: Given Names:
Place of Birth: Place of Birth:
OFFICIANT DETAILS
Officiant's Number:
Officiant:
Officiant Address:
Denomination:
Date of Registration:

Here's the link if you're interested: http://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/Query.php

I'm sorry but that is all that is available online. I did check not just Ireland, but England, Scotland and Wales for Thomas Ager and Sarah Kitney.

All the best,

Schuyler

ξ

A. Schuyler, Genealogist
Experience: Researcher and genealogist for past 30 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you for your help. These are his marriages.

Regards,

Marian

Hi, Marian,

I don't know if ordering the marriage records themselves will provide any more information or not. I did not see a death record for him in Manitoba, but those records also don't appear to be complete.

I tried what online death records are available from all over Canada and didn't see one. Sometimes death records will list where the person was born. If that is your William Ager, 30-year-old engineer renting from the Andersons in the 1901 census (and I think he might be), he is listed as having been born in Ontario.

He really ahs been elusive.

Best regards,

Schuyler

ξ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you.

Marian