A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist
Experience:  Researcher and genealogist for past 30 years
3157612

What is the best way to track the genealogy of land?

Category: Genealogy
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to try to help you.

I am unsure what you mean by "the genealogy of land." I'll be happy to help once I know what you're asking.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would like to trace owners of certain house/land in my ancestry. I guess trail of title?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How to find out the history of the land your house is on and house title history too (chain of title?)

Thanks so much for clearing that up for me.

Titles and deeds are indeed the way to trace ownership of land backwards in time. The information is not found online. It is only found in the court house or records office (if there is a separate office) in the county or city where the house is located. The county clerk (or the staff) are usually happy to help you get started. Sometimes they request that you call and make an appointment so there is staff available to help you with the deed books.

If you have the current title, that will pinpoint the location and should give you the previous owner of the property. The next step is to trace the previous owner's deed to the one before that, and so on. If the property has changed numerous times over the years, it can be an onerous task. If the current owner has title insurance the title insurance company may have done some of the work for you. Most mortgage companies require that the work be done in order to make the loan. You would need to ask.

Please let me know if you have questions.

All the best,

Schuyler

ξ

A. Schuyler, Genealogist
Experience: Researcher and genealogist for past 30 years