A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist
Experience:  Researcher and genealogist for past 30 years

On my grandfather birth certificate his father was David Condon

Customer Question

On my grandfather birth certificate his father was David Condon born 1853 Limerick but can only find David Condon born 1852 and 1854 in Knockaderry Limerick.He was a bootmaker and married XXXXX XXXXX from Dun Laoghaire born 1850 Would one of these two be my great grandfather
Category: Genealogy
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to try to help you.

On your frandfather's birth certificate, who was his mother? Was she XXXXX XXXXX? Was the David Condon who was a bootmaker the father of your grandfather?

When exactly was your great-grandfather born in 1853 and in which parish?

What your your grandfather's name and birth date and place?

I'll be happy to try to help you once we have enough information.

All the best,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry made a mistake David Condon was my grandmother, s father XXXXX XXXXX was my grandfather,s mother.David was a Bootmaker born in Limerick in 1853 not sure which parish could have been Knockaderry He married Emma Reader from Loose Kent XXXXX XXXXX was born in Dun Laoghaire in 1850 and married XXXXX XXXXX from Nova Scotia

Hi there,

Perhaps I'm just dense this afternooon (hope I didn't sleep through the sermon this morning), but I'm still not getting how this all fits together:

"On my grandfather birth certificate his father was David Condon born 1853 Limerick but can only find David Condon born 1852 and 1854 in Knockaderry Limerick.He was a bootmaker and married XXXXX XXXXX from Dun Laoghaire born 1850 Would one of these two be my great grandfather" and

"Sorry made a mistake David Condon was my grandmother, s father XXXXX XXXXX was my grandfather,s mother.David was a Bootmaker born in Limerick in 1853 not sure which parish could have been Knockaderry He married Emma Reader from Loose Kent XXXXX XXXXX was born in Dun Laoghaire in 1850 and married XXXXX XXXXX from Nova Scotia."

I think it will help if we just start over. You mention that you have your grandfather's (or perhaps it is your grandmother's) birth certificate. The place to begin is the child's full name on the birth certificate since it is his/her parents you are looking for (or I think that is your question). So what is the name, date and place of birth, parents' names, and anything else on the birth certificate?

Then, second, is it this child's parents that you are looking for?

I understand David Condon who was born in Limerick in 1853 and married Emma Reader from Loose, Kent.

I do apologize for my confusion.

Best regards,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I get confused myself on my grandmothers birth certificate her father was born in Limerick in 1853 His name was David Condon.He was a boot maker He was married to Emma Reader from Loose Kent. On my grandfathers birth certificate his mother was born in Kingstown which is now called Dun Laoghaire in 1850 she was married to XXXXX XXXXX from Nova Scotia. Her name was XXXXX XXXXX.I'm trying to get information on who Davids and Elizabeth's parents were and also if they had siblings and when they emigrated from Ireland

Okay, I think we are trying to do do much in one question, and it's all becoming a frazzle. Usually we research one specific piece of information about one person per question since research takes hours of time and often requires payment out of pocket for English and Irish database access, which is paid by the genealogist without recompensation from Just Answer. In this question, let's start with your grandmother Condon's family.

What is your grandmother Condon's full name (the daughter of David Condon and Emma Reader)? When and where was she born?

Do you know when and where David Condon and Emma Reader were married? Do you have the date of birth of Emma Reader?

Any of this will help to begin to research David Condon. The only way we can do any genealogy research is to start with the later generations and go backward one person at a time.

Best regards,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My grandmother,s name was Asumpta Maria Ann Condon born on the 15th August 1894 in Toowoomba QLD Australia. On her birth certificate it only gives her age 33. I'm not sure when they were married.

Thanks for the additional information. I will see what I can find, although I'm still a little confused over someone's birth certificate that gives her age as 33.

All the ebst,

Schuyler

According to the index listing of his marriage record to Emma Reader 05 Jan 1878 (# XXXXX), David was XXXXX XXXXXph Condon and so was his father. His death record 05 Apr 1911 1911 (# XXXXX) gave the same information. There is nothing in either index about his age at either event, or where he was born.

The Davids you found born in Knockaderry parish, Co. Limerick in 1852, 1854, and 1855 were the sons of XXXXX, XXXXX, and John Condon, respectively, so none of those is the correct one.

I did find three Davids baptised in Co. Limerick to fathers named David:

1. 02 May 1850 to David Condon and Margaret Coffey in Hospital & Herbertstown parish
  2. 13 Oct 1850 to David Condon and Norry Daly in Knockainy & Patrickswell
  3. 20 Mar 1858 to David Condon and Kate Coffey in Glenroe & Ballyorgan

Since none of these give a second name for either father or child, there is no way to tell which one might be him. Also, none of them would support a date of birth of 1853.

Have you obtained the full marriage record and death record for David Condon from the Queensland government? If not, you can do so through this link. https://www.bdm.qld.gov.au/IndexSearch/mainMenuSubmit.m?main_menu=IndexSearch

« Start | Prev | 1 | Next | End »2050100150200250 Records per page

Reg #Marriage Party Last NameMarriage Party First Name(s)Marriage Party Last NameMarriage Party First Name(s)
1878/C187Order ProductReaderEmmaCondonXXXXX XXXXXph

Reg #First NameLast NameFather's NameMother's Name
1925/C1862Order ProductDavidCondonThomas Condon- ** born Ireland aged 62
1911/B13892Order ProductXXXXX XXXXXphCondonXXXXX XXXXXph-

The death record may give more details about his exact date and place of birth and possibly his mother's name.

Please let me hear from you,

Schuyler

A. Schuyler, Genealogist
Experience: Researcher and genealogist for past 30 years

In one of the databases (see bottom of page), it mentioned that David's mother was a Fitzgerald, so I went back to the birth records and looked for children named David Condon born to mothers named Fitzgerald from 1845 to 1865 in Limerick. There was only one:

David Condon baptised 07 Dec 1849 in Kilfinnane parish, Co. Limerick, son of Edmond Condon and Margaret Fitzgerald. Since Edmund was the name of David Condon and Emma Mary Reader's eldest son, I am thinking that this is the correct set of parents. Of course, the David's father could have been Edmond XXXXX XXXXXph Condon, or the priest may have recorded it wrong.

Australia Death Index, 1787-1985
about XXXXX XXXXXph Condon

Name:XXXXX XXXXXph Condon
Death Date:5 Apr 1911
Death Place:Queensland
Father's Name:XXXXX XXXXXph Condon
Mother's Name:Fitzgerald
Registration Year:1911
Registration Place:Queensland
Registration number:B013892
Page Number:5001
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for your help. Sorry about the emails I was sending but only just got a tablet and I had in my head what I wanted to say but didn't come out quite right in the emails

You're so very welcome. I'm delighted I could solve the mystery of David Condon for you.

I've had one of those tiny tablets before and know how easy it is to get your fingers jumbled up on them. It is now used only by my niece to play games when she visits Somehow a 15-year-old doesn't have the same problem as I did. Her fingers fairly fly over the screen. Smile

I hope you will leave me positive feedback since that is the only way I am paid for my work.

All the best,

Schuyler

ξ