A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist
Experience:  Researcher and genealogist for past 30 years
3157612

Annals of Ulster mention my family name "Uloth". Where can

Annals of Ulster mention my family name "Uloth". Where can I search for genealogical information on this name?
Category: Genealogy
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to try to help you.

Do you have a given name or time frame associated with the surname Uloth?

Was there a place mentioned in Ulster? As you know Ulster included most of the northern part of Ireland.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I found my surname by googling name on Annals of Ulster website. Regret I don't have specific dates ready to hand but name did appear opposite several entries in Annals including references to a "King (ie. Rex or Regis) Uloth" and reference to having travelled to Germany. Both references in early centuries AD. This query started when I was given copy of map of early Ireland excerpted from Encyclopedia Britannica showing literally "Kingdom of Uloth" in southeastern part of present day Ulster.

Hello again,

In Annals of Ulster, it isn't "King Uloth" it is "the king of Uloth." Ulaid is another word for that area of Ireland. People were sometimes known as Ulothes in some pre-medieval writings. The surname is XXXXX XXXXX someone who lived in Uloth. Other than reading old tales and sagas of early Ireland, there would be no place to research anything that early (pre-1000 A. D.).

To find your own family connection you would start with the Uloth family you are certain about, and put down their dates and places of birth, marriage, and death, and follow that backward generation by generation as far as you can. It is unlikely you will get back to 1,000 A. D. since there are few written records from that era.

Best regards,

Schuyler

A. Schuyler, Genealogist
Experience: Researcher and genealogist for past 30 years