Shirley
Shirley, Genealogy Consultant
Experience:  Help with your Genealogy and Family History research.
69545677

I am looking records about Godfrey Ellis &Elizabth Hill. When

I am looking records about Godfrey Ellis &Elizabth Hill. When they were married. And before they came to Canada. Godfrey was b.1811 Elizabth Hill was b.1814.any help you can give me will be appreciated

genealogyhelper :

genealogyhelper :

I will research this for you. If I need further information, I will contact you. Thank you, Shirley

Hello Charlene,

Godfrey Ellis was born between 1811 and 1814, it depends on which record you are citing, in Ireland. His father was James Ellis born about 1791 in Ireland. Godfrey Ellis and XXXXX XXXXX were married sometime between 1846 and 1848 in Ontario, Canada. He was Presbyterian. The Canadian Genealogy Index, 1600-1900's has Godfrey Ellis living in Brown's Toronto City. The 1861 Census of Canada has Godfrey and XXXXX XXXXXving in Thorah, Ontario, Canada West, Religion: Free Church. You are going to have to investigate church records to find a marriage record, so I would start with the previous two places mentioned. Over Godfrey's lifetime he worked as a steamboat mate, a mariner, a carder, and carding and fulling mills. Godfrey Ellis died on 9 May 1892 in Ontario, Canada.

XXXXX XXXXX was born 5 February 1814 in Scotland and christened on 3 April 1814 in Canonbie, Dumbfries, Scotland. Her father was XXXXX XXXXX and her mother was Bettie Beattie. Elizabeth and Godfrey had four children; Elizabeth Clara (also called Lizzie & Lillie) born about 1849, Annie Maria born about 1850, Angus born about 1852, and John W. born about 1853. The first three children were born in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The fourth child was either born in the "State of Pencilvania" (1861 Census of Canada) or in Ontario, Canada (1871 Census of Canada).

"Beaverton - A thriving village on Lake Simcoe, township of Thorah, north riding of the county of Ontario. This place will be one of the termini of the Midland railway. Distant from Whitby, the county town and a station of the Grand Trunk railway, 50 miles, fare $2.50. Mail daily. Population about 1200."

- Lovell's Canadian Dominion Directory, 1871

If you have any questions or need clarification about your answer, please contact me directly. Please don't forget to rate your answer (a three or higher) to ensure I receive credit for my work.

Thank you,

Shirley

Hello Charlene,

Did I miss something in your answer? I spent a lot of time reserching that information for you. Would you please rate the answer you received?

Thank you,

Shirley

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Shirley Thank you so much have been looking for along time.How can I out find what boat Godfrey Ellis came over on .Lovells Directory 1871?
Thanks again You were so helpfuf. Charlene Mackey

Hello Charlene,

You are very fortunate that Godfrey arrived in Canada when he did. Not only are ships' passenger lists are very sparse prior to 1865 but, he also avoided the typhus epidemic many Irish suffered on Grosse Isle, Quebec (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grosse_Isle,_Quebec).

I have suggested a few websites where you can continue your online search. I
have also suggested a very good book about Canadian research.

THE SHIPS LIST

http://www.theshipslist.com/Research/canadarecords.shtml#1919

LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES CANADA

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/022/022-908.003-e.html

FAMILY SEARCH CANADA

https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Canada

In Search of Your Canadian Roots, by Angus Baxter

His bio reads;"...one of North America's leading experts in genealogy."

I own several of his books.

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate the rating, and bonus is like a well deserved pat on the back. If you are unable to locate the ship that brought Godfrey to Canada please let me know, I would be happy to help you out.

Thank you,

Shirley