Shirley
Shirley, Genealogy Consultant
Experience:  Help with your Genealogy and Family History research.

Did post a question, however shows none in my account. Not

Customer Question

Did post a question, however shows none in my account. Not sure if it was received. Here goes again. My Greatgrandmother was Alice Miriam Sullivan, She was born on the 19th June 1888 and died on the 09th June 1969. She came from Ireland and her family immigrated to South Africa where she married XXXXX XXXXX. Her mother was Annie McDonald who came from Scotland. Many Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Category: Genealogy
Expert:  Shirley replied 1 year ago.

genealogyhelper :

Hello Lirelda, You've provided some good information but, what is your question? Thank you, Shirley

Customer :

Hi Shirley,

Customer :

Hi Shirely,

Customer :

As you can see I am having one of "those" Friday's. Hi am looking for my great-grandmother's birth certificate.

genealogyhelper :

Hello, I will research this for you. However, I will not be able to produce a "birth certificate" as they did not have them then. I will be searching for a record of her birth. I will contact you if I need more information. Thank you, Shirley

Customer :

That's super, thanks.

genealogyhelper :

Hello, I have been unable to verify any of the information you've provided. Where did you get the information? Thank you, Shirley

Customer :

Hi, I have got most of the info from my mother, this was info given to her by her mother, who was Alice Miriam Sullivan's daughter. Verification of birth date and death date also came from the inscription on her grave stone. Will try and see if I can get further info from my mom. Not too sure if she has any though. Will get back to you. Regards, Lirelda

genealogyhelper :

Hello Lirelda, I will be happy to take another look when I hear from you next. Thank you, Shirley

Customer :

Hi Shirley, I have fortunately managed to get some more info from my mother. She had an old photograph of Alice Miriam Sullivan's father's, sister’s and brother's grave stone. They obviously all immigrated to South Africa together. Her father was: DENNIS ALOYSIOUS SULLIVAN, he died in South Africa on 14/01/1912. Her sister was: MILDRED (Milly – nickname) SULLIVAN who was the youngest daughter of Dennis and died on 06/06/1913. Her brother was: COPERAL FRANCIS JOSEPH SULLIVAN who was killed in action in France on 15/04/1918. On Eileen Mildred Barnes (nee Robinson’s ) baptism record – born on 15/06/1913 (Alice Miriam’s Daughter), it says born of John and “Mary” (This is an error, should be Alice Miriam) Robinson. Alice Miriam’s mother, Annie Sullivan (nee McDonald) was noted as being present at the baptism. Hope this all helps. Regards, Lirelda

Shirley, Genealogy Consultant
Experience: Help with your Genealogy and Family History research.
Expert:  Shirley replied 1 year ago.

Hello Lirelda,

Civil registration of births in Ireland didn't begin until 1864. I can access indexes to the civil registrations online however, the record itself is in the General Register Office. You can order a photocopy for a fee. To order a certificate you will need the registration year/quarter, registration district and volume and page number I am providing from the transcript. No space is provided on the current General Register Office form for Volume and Page number. you can write this in Section 2 of the form. Information can be found at this web address http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/contact_us.asp

The transcript is as follows:

Name: Alice Sullivan

Event Type: Birth

Event Date: Apr - Jun 1887

Event Place: Cork County, Ireland

Registration Quarter and Year: Apr - Jun 1887

Age:

Birth Year (Estimated):

Mother's Maiden Name:

Volume Number: 5

Page Number: 474

GS Film Number: 101061

Digital Folder Number: NNN-NN-NNNN/p>

Image Number: 00519

The source of this information is the "ireland, Civil Registration Indexas, 1845-1958,"index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FBZC-B43 : accessed 24 March 2013), Alice Sullivan, 1887; citing vol. 5, p. 474, General Registry, Custom House, Dublin, Ireland; FHL microfilm 101061.

My aim is 100% client satisfaction. If you have any questions or need further clarification about your answer, please contact me directly. Please rate your answer a three or above so that I receive credit for my work.

Thank you,

Shirley

Expert:  Shirley replied 1 year ago.

Hello Lirelda,

I just wanted to let you know I appreciate the rating.

Thank you,

Shirley

Expert:  Shirley replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lirelda,

I'm just following up with you to see how your research is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Thank you,
Shirley
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Shirely,

No, not really as her birthday was 19/06/1988 and the transcript and event date is April - June 1987. It also does not have her mother's name or any additonal info to verify that it is indeed her. I therefore will have to carry on searching until I find something more substantial. Not going to order the certificate as I don't think it could be her. I will have to try and trace her father or brother and sister. In this way I might be able to also get her details.

Kind Regards,

Lirelda

Expert:  Shirley replied 1 year ago.

Hello Lirelda,

I do not like to leave a client unsatisfied with my services, so I have gone back over our conversations and the information you provided. You said that you are working with a birth date that came from her headstone. A headstone is considered a "secondary source", meaning the subject of your research did not give the information themselves.

Do you know which funeral home handled the burial? If so, write to them and ask for a copy of her file. If not, find out where the records are kept for the cemetery she is buried in. You will probably have to write to them. Make sure you enclose a self addressed stamped envelope. You need to find out who provided the information for her headstone.

Working with other relatives is a good idea as I have often found the answer to my own genealogy questions in this way. I wish you the best as you endeavor to find the answer. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Shirley

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Shirley,

Thanks for the info.

I however also got the info from my Mom, who knew her before she died. She also got the info from my gran who was her (Alice Miriam Sullivan's) daughter. So I reckon the information on her date of birth is accurate.

I might have to search for her father's info (Dennis Aloysious Sullivan) in order to trace her info.

Kind Regards,

Lirelda

Expert:  Shirley replied 1 year ago.

Hello Lirelda,

Would you please verify this information to make sure I have everything straight.

*Dennis Aloysious Sullivan was born in Ireland and died in South Africa on

14 January 1912.

*Dennis married Annie McDonald who was born in Scotland.

*Alice Miriam Sullivan was born on 19 June 1888 in Ireland, married XXXXX XXXXX, and died on 9 June 1969 in South Africa.

*Alice & John have a daughter named Eileen Mildred (whose married name is Barnes).

*Francis Joseph Sullivan was killed in action in France on 15 April 1918.

*Mildred died in South Africa on 6 June 1913.

Thank you,

Shirley

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Shirley,

The above is all correct.

Kind Regards,

Lirelda

Expert:  Shirley replied 1 year ago.

Hi Lirelda,

Thank you for the conformation. I will continue researching your question using this information. Is there any information you would like to add?

Thank you,

Shirley

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Shirley,

No, unfortunately that is all the info that I have.

I also have a query regarding payment. Please see the pasted section below. There are two payments going off my Credit Card?? Please advise.

Thanks, Lirelda

29 Mar 2013

PENDING - JUSTANSWER *EXPERTHLP XXXXXXXXXX CA , 0329
LAST 4 CARD DIGITS 2035

-$56.00

26 Mar 2013

JUSTANSWER *GENEALOGY XXXXXXXXXX CA USA
Card xx2035 AUD 46.00
Value Date: 22/03/2013

-$46.00

Expert:  Shirley replied 1 year ago.

Hi LIrelda,

I have reported that you had a "duplicate question" but you will have to contact Just Answer as I have nothing to do with that end of their business.

Sorry,

Shirley

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Shirley.

Lirelda

Expert:  Shirley replied 1 year ago.

Hello Lirelda,

Using the information you have given me, I continued researching your question. I have come to the conclusion that, either there is an error in the information you provided or the information is not online The second conclusion is entirely possible as only a fraction of the records we use in genealogy research are online. It really is as frustrating for me as it is for you as I have invested many hours trying to locate an answer to your question.

Once again you will be asked to rate your answer. Please remember that Genealogists are paid for the time they spend researching, not necessarily the results of that research. I know where to search and what to search for, but that does not mean I will find the information I am looking for.

Thank you,

Shirley