Shirley
Shirley, Genealogy Consultant
Experience:  Help with your Genealogy and Family History research.
69545677

My great grandparents were born and married in Ireland, names

My great grandparents were born and married in Ireland, names areXXXXX & XXXXX XXXXX, they were married in City of Cork Ireland about 1842, can't find when they came to Australia, also how do I find their birth certificates

genealogyhelper :

Hello, Was William sent to Australia as a convict? Do you kno their parents' and/or childrens' names?

Customer:

Meant to say William and Sarah are my great great grandparents, they appeared to be in their forties when they had their children-Susan Mary Blackburn and John J Blackburn, they were apparently born in NSW about 1863-64 and John about 1867. I was also wondering if maybe William and Sarah adopted them given their ages ( if records are correct re; their ages)

genealogyhelper :

Hello, As it is late, I will take a look in the morning and see what I can find out for you. Thank you, Shirley

genealogyhelper :

Thank you and have a good evening. Shirley

Customer:

I have not had an answer, I am now worried that I have paid for nothing and I am hoping $46 is not going to be deducted every month, can I please cancel this service

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

you have not answered anything, now I am worried I have had money deducted from my credit card for nothing, can I please cancel this service

How do you know William and Sarah were married in Cork, Ireland? Are you sure William married a woman named Sarah? If you have a document of their marriage that should give you some leads. In order to find a record of their births you have to know what parish they were in. They didn't have birth certificates back then. The church kept all of those records, usually in a ledger. So you have to narrow down
their residence.

Have you checked passenger lists to see if you could locate William and XXXXX XXXXX Blackburn? Is it possible that William was transported to Australia as
a convict? That is what Australia was for in those times. Maybe he met Sarah in
Australia and married there.

My search for William and Sarah in Ireland was fruitless. I did find a marriage record for a William Blackburn who married an Emily M Watson in Durham, in the England &
Wales, Marriage Index, 1916-2005.
Following are a few web sites that might
help you in your search in Australia.

http://genealogy.about.com/od/australvital_free/Free_Vital_Records_Online_Australia.htm

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Australia_Civil_Registration-_Vital_Records

http://australia.gov.au/topics/law-and-justice/births-deaths-and-marriages-registries

I believe I have done as much for you as I can, so I will opt-out and hand this over to another expert.

Thank you,

Shirley

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX didn't hear anything I thought I was conned (sorry). It states on their death certificates that they were married in Ireland

There was one thing I located on a William Blackburn in the Australia Death Index, 1781-1985. He died on 6 Jan 1888 in Queensland, Australia. His father's name was Robert Blackburn and his mother's name was Susannah Thompson. The registration number is XXXXX I would appreciate it if you would change the rating you gave my answer to at least a 3 so that I get credit for my work.

Thank you,

Shirley

If you can supply any further information I may be able to find something.

Thank you,

Shirley

Hello Cheryl,

Thank you for the kind rating.

Shirley