A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist
Experience:  Researcher and genealogist for past 30 years

My grandfather William Ramsay Stewart born in Kirriemuir, Scotland

Customer Question

My grandfather William Ramsay Stewart born in Kirriemuir, Scotland on 21 June 1877
Category: Genealogy
Expert:  Brendan Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Hello there,

I will research your question, what would you like to know about William?

Brendan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would like to know more about the descendants for his brothers and sisters and who is alive and living in Scotland

Hello Pamela,

I will have a look and see what I can find.

Brendan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

His siblings were David, Jessie,Alexamder,Margaret, James and Elizabeth. All I know that Alexamder had 3 children Tommy, Bill and Kitty. Tommy's children were Gordon and Rhoda and Kitty(Kidd) had Margaret(Gabbutt). Could you give information on this part of the family?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Relist: Other. Have had no answer at all to my question.

Please note that Alexamder should read Alexander. Tommy's surname would therefore also have been Stewart.

Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to try to help you since Brendan has opted out.

We can research one person per question, and genealogy does not deal with living people in order to protect their privacy. To find living people you could use an international lookup facility once you know the name.

Alexander Stewart was born 23 Dec 1869 at 9:15 a.m., son of XXXXX XXXXX, XXXXX, and Margaret Ramsay. Do you know who he married or when and where? There are a number of marriage records for Alexander Stewart in Angus and dozens all over Scotland.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry - I do NOT know who Alexander Stewart married or when and where? I would think that must have lived in the Dundee/Kirriemuir area.

Thanks for that. I will see what I can find based on the limited information available. However, with no name for his wife and a common name like Alexander Stewart, no birth dates or places for his children or grandchildren, it will be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Best regards,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much. I will be visiting Kirriemuir in September ( I live in South Africa) to try to find out something about my grandfather's family so any information that you can find would be useful.

So far, what I'm finding is dozens of Alexander Stewarts.

Do you have any idea when any of his children or grandchildren were born?

So far, this is what I think I understand:

Alexander Stewart b 23 Dec 1869 m _______________

Children of Alexander and ____???____:

• Thomas (Tommy) Stewart
  • William (Bill) Stewart
  • Katherine (Kitty) Stewart

Thomas Stewart m ___________________

Tommy's children:

• Gordon Stewart m ____________
  • Rhoda Stewart m __________

Katherine (Kitty) Stewart m _______Gabbutt

Child:

• Margaret Gabbutt

Any information you could add about any of them would help. For instance allowing 20 years between generations, I come up with 4 Rhoda Stewarts with a father named Alexander.

Thanks so much,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You are absolutely accurate in what you have provided but unfortunately that is all that I was given by my aunt Christine. William Ramsay Stewart had 2 children Christine and my father, Gordon William who was born in Dundee on 11 January 1914. Both are deceased now.

Maybe i will be able to track backward through Gordon William. I'll give it my best shot

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Keep your fingers crossed!

Schuyler

Now I'm confused. Was William Ramsay Stewart the son of Alexander Stewart? or the son of James Stewart and brother of Alexander?

It was Alexander's children you were looking for.

We are actually limited to researching one specific item of information about one person per question. Data access in Scotland is expensive, and it quickly adds up to more than the value of the question.

We will need to limit this search to that.

By the way, there is no image available for the birth of Gordon William Stewart. You would need to order the birth certificate from the government for £12.

Best regards,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

William Ramsay Stewart was the son of James Stewart and brother of Alexander?

All I have of my Stewart relations is the names of William's brothers and sisters and the descendants of Alexander. Though of course I have the descendants of William Ramsay as my father Gordon William was his only son. I have copies of the birth certificates of William Ramsay and of Gordon William. If we are limited to one person, please could you research the descendants of Alexander.

Thank you,

Pam