A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist
Experience:  Researcher and genealogist for past 30 years

I am trying to trace my Family Name ORR, My Father,s name

I am trying to trace my Family Name ORR, My Father,s name was Hermon Lindsay Orr
born June 6 1916, his Father,s name was James and his Mothers name was Ellen,
both from Castlerobin , Lisburn Co Antrim
Hello there,

I will research this question, I live in Ireland.

What would you like to know?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The question is as stated

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am online now , what have you found

Good morning Thomas,

Hermon's birth is not turning up in civil registration in Ireland.

There is a birth 1912 for a XXXXX XXXXXndsay Orr in Lisburn he died age 1

Do you know the name of any of Hermon's siblings.

What was Ellen's maiden name?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It should be Northern Ireland Brendan,

Hermons Brother was Thomas, who died when he was 21 'circa'

Hello Thomas,

There is no birth record turning up for Hermon in Northern Ireland.

I will opt out of this question and let other experts have a look.

Good luck with your research

Hi, I’m a Moderator for this topic. It seems the Professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the Professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I have also looked at the civil registrations of birth and marriage. There is no registration for a marriage between James Orr and anyone named Ellen in Co. Antrim 1916±20 years. Nor is there the registration of a birth of a child to a James and Ellen Orr in Co. Antrim in that same time frame. I did see this record in the FHL data, but it doesn't seem to be in the official Irish databases, and of course, it doesn't provide the names of the parents.

name:Hermon Lindsay Orr
registration district:Lisburn
event type:BIRTHS
registration quarter and year:Apr - Jun 1917
estimated birth year:
age (at death):
mother's maiden name:
film number:101077
volume number:1
page number:567
digital folder number:4194696
image number:00123

That really is a puzzle that there would be no official record and yet LDS had one on microfilm.

How sure are you that the boys were born in Co. Antrim versus remembered living there at some time?

Have you checked parish records in Co. Antrim to see if there is a baptismal record?

Do you have any other information about them that might help us learn more about them and their parents?

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I should correct my Fathers birth date, which is June 6th 1917, I am not sure of the exact year he died as he was + 80, so i estimate it was 2000.,He had 2 brother,s William and Thomas , who died at an early age circa 20yrs old due to 'consumption' ? sisters were Minnie, [who was older than Hermon and Jean was the youngest , which may help you

Margaret , Jane , Elizabeth + James and Roy[robert] are my sisters and brother,s from HERMON, LINDSAY ORR and Mary [Minnie] Abbott, whose father was George Abbott, [my grandfather] who lived at Stoneyford Co. Antrim.

I would guess that Ellen and James were married before 1916,

I have not checked the Baptismal records in Lisburn/Derriaghy,

I am assuming that it was Co Antrim, and am pretty sure that is correct.

can you expand what LDS is /means

I'm so sorry. Sometimes we genealogy bugs forget that not everyone speaks our arcane language. Wink

LDS is the short abbreviation for Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (the Mormons) who have microfilmed many civil and parish records all over the world. FHL stands for their Family History Library. They have transcribed some of the records and made them available online at their web site That is where the record I sent you for Hermon came from. The odd thing is if you check the Irish BMD (Birth, Marriage, Death) Index, there is no listing to compare with this. The Irish BMD is the official site for Irish birth, marriage, and death registrations. It should include the Hermon's name, date of birth, and registration number so you can order a birth certificate. That is what I didn't find.

I am going back to the records and see if I can find anything on any of the other children in any of the official records, and I'll check all of Ireland, not just Antrim.

I'll keep working on it and get back to you by the weekend.

Best regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not got far on this but to find out that there was a fire in the records office in 1920 , hence the possible loss of the information, But i will check out on the Parish, as that has potential to continue, will let you know

Thanks so much for getting back to me.

I tried going back to the 1911 census looking for an Ellen and James Orr in Co. Antrim. I found one on Hillman St,, Dock Ward, Co. Antrim.

XXXXX XXXXX Orr 32 M Head married 3 years marine engine fitter born Belfast City

Ellen Orr 30 F Wife 0 children 0 living born Co. Down

Mary Pue 16 F Visitor b Co. Down

XXXXX XXXXX 41 M Boarder married 14 years b Co. Antrim

XXXXX XXXXX Orr, age 29, bachelor, ofXXXXX son of Robert Orr, book keeper,married Ellen Pue, age 27, spinster, ofXXXXX, daughter of Robert Orr, stonecutter, 24 DecXXXXX Anne's (COI), Belfast, Co., Antrim.

XXXXX XXXXX Orr was born 14 Apr 1878 and baptised 11 May, in Belfast, Co. Antrim, son of Robert Orr and Sarah Ann Slane.

The only online birth registration for a child of XXXXX XXXXX Orr and Ellen Pue was for a Joseph Orr b 27 Jan and baptised 17 Feb 1919. That makes me wonder if it is the right James and Ellen Orr since you didn't mention a son named Joseph. In any event, it is the only James and Ellen I found.

Best regards,

A. Schuyler, Genealogist
Experience: Researcher and genealogist for past 30 years