HistoryGeek
HistoryGeek, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I have a BA in History and a love of all things Genealogy.

I am researching the Matchett family history from Cavan County

I am researching the Matchett family history from Cavan County Ireland. I am looking around the time period between 1700 and 1800. Where is the best place to look online without signing up for some genealogy site?
Category: Genealogy
Expert:  Brendan Joseph replied 1 year ago.

Hello there,

I will research your question, I live in Ireland. I will be back if I need more information.

Brendan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll give you whatever I have. Just let me know.

Hello Richard,

I will research your question today.

Brendan

Hello Richard,

1850's in Ireland there was only one Matchett family living in Cavan, 1820 there were 3 different but probably related families.

Parts of the 1821 census for Cavan still survive, there was one Matchett family listed living in Poles.

Poles is in Annagelliffe Parish, Parish records late 1700's still survive, The Matchett's ran a mill at Leiter townland.

The family is probably an offshoot of the main Matchett family in Armagh.

Unless you were rich or famous pre 1800's records are very rare, the Matchetts were not landowners / landlords they were tenants of the Marley estate.

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/

Tithe Applotment records are on Ancestry

www.nli.ie Estate records

http://www.proni.gov.uk/ numerous records for Cavan

www.irishnewspaperarchives.ie includes the Freemans Journal 1740's on costs a couple of euro a day.

Annagelliffe Parish records

Annagelliffe Graveyard

Brendan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So from what I can see you were not able to answer my questions about the spouse of my family. You can only supply various other search engines. I have already tried Ancestry.ca and other web searches with little luck. BotXXXXX XXXXXne I am no further ahead.

Hello Richard,

You did not mention a spouse, who's spouse are you looking for?

Brendan
Hello Richard,

I did not ask you to rate your question, you said "you were not able to answer my questions about the spouse of my family"

You never mentioned a spouse to me, I asked you for the spouses name so that I could research your question further.

Brendan
Hello Richard,

I spent two hours researching your question, there were two stems of the Matchett family that emigrated to Canada, I have full details on both stems including parents and grandparents, birth and marriage records from Annagelliffe Parish records. As a college graduate I have access to certain Irish databases that are not available to the public.

Brendan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok Brendan. It seems we got our signals crossed somewhere. Lets start again. I sent you some info on family and spouses. I am willing to share whatever I have so just let me know how I can help.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Brendan,

I haven't heard back from you. I was wondering if you consider this search closed. I have looked back at the email trail and found that for some reason some went to the spam folder so that lead to confusion on my part. I would like to pursue the search if you are willing. Please let me know one way or the other.

Regards

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I’m a Moderator for this topic. It seems the Professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the Professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear Brendan has withdrawn however I am still interested in pursuing the research. I will await your response. If ;you need additional information from me just ask. I will supply anything I can.

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Professional with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a Professional or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can wait a little longer. After all I have already been charged for this.

Regards

Expert:  HistoryGeek replied 1 year ago.
Hello:

I am willing to look into this for you, but I'm a little unclear as to what your question is. It looks like you were asking for sites where you can research your Cavan county ancestry, but then your response to Brendan seemed like you wanted more specific research done on your family.

Can you clarify this for me?

If you are looking for more specific research on your family, please share what info you have on the person or persons you are hoping to learn more about (names, dates or approximate dates, and if you have the name of a parish that is also really helpful).

Peace,
Kari
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kari,

Yes I am looking for specific information about my mothers family. The family name is XXXXX XXXXX X have found the names of the men but I am having problems definitively identifying their wives. Here is what I have. John Matchett DOB May 8 1737 and DOD Apr 12 1780. I have a name Suzanna as his wife with DOB Jan 16 1750 and DOD 1793. I have a marriage date of Jun 23 1773. His father was also John Matchett DOB 1710, DOD Jun 12 1789 and his mother was SusXXXXX XXXXX DOB 1710 and DOD 1788. I want to find out Suzanna's maiden name and confirm their marriage date. To clarify, she is the one married to John from 1737.

Now the second member is James Matchett, son of John from 1737, DOB Mar 1778 and DOD 1850. I have the name Margaret Dobson DOB 1780 as his wife. Again I would like to confirm she was his wife and any more specific dates about their union and her DOD.

All the information I have indicates that John 1 and John 2 lived, married and died in Drung, Cavan, Ireland. James was born in Cavan as well but I show the parish of Larah. I know James had a son XXXXX XXXXX Matchett DOB 1800 who immigrated to Canada.

Thats about it. I hope this will be a help.

Regards

I'll see if I can find any info on this and get back to you tomorrow.

Peace,
Kari
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Kari,

Have you had any luck?

Regards

Hello:

I'm sorry that I haven't had time to research this yet. I'm on the tail end of a cold and so wasn't able to do as much as I had thought I could. Better today and working on researching for you.

Peace,
Kari
Hello again:

That actually didn't take long. I have found info on several message boards about this family which I'm not sure if you are aware of. The most relevant seems to be this one: http://boards.ancestry.com/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=127&p=surnames.matchett

That conversation contains this info: "Dr. Peter McConkey, a respected researcher in Peterborough, Ont and who has McConkey relatives living in Co. Monaghan, Ireland, so is familiar with the area and doing research in Ireland researched our Matchett line for us. He looked particualry at our James Matchett, who emigrated to the Peterborough, Ont. area in 1824 with his family. Our James was a first cousin of the James Matchett who married Margaret Dobson and are the presumed parents of your William Matchett. In the Church of Ireland Parish Registers of the United Parishes of Drung and Larah 1785-1850 James Matchett of Broughdarrig in the parish of Larah was married to Margaret Dobson of Poles in the parish of Annagelliffe the 19th day of Feb 1798 by Rev. Geo Foster. I have no record of William's birth/baptism or that of his siblings John 21, Susan 17, and David 16 who are recorded in the 1821 census, Co. Cavan, Parish Annagelliff, Townland Poles in our material. In his summary Peter does list William as well as John, Susan and David as known children of James and Margaret (Dobson) Matchett. He notes that William emigrated to Miramichi, N. B. Canada. Perhaps this information will help with your research." The person who wrote this does have an active profile on Ancestry.com.

However, I'm guessing that you would likely want to have a look at something closer to the source. Unfortunately, there is not a transcript or a copy of that parish register available online. It is available for order through the Family History Library. Here is the link to the microfilm which will have the information you are looking for on both your questions, I believe: https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/101406

If you click on the film number in the "Film Notes" section of the page it will bring you to an order page. If you have never ordered film before (or researched through the Family History Library) then you will want to find your local family history center through this link: https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/101406

They send the film to the one closest to you and when it arrives you get an e-mail and can go down to see the microfilm. It does not appear that this is a copy of the parish registers but a copy of the transcriptions of the parish register.

As for the change in Parishes for James Matchett, it appears that he was a younger son and if his wife had money or land or he found opportunity elsewhere, he was more likely to move. In this case, though, he didn't move very far, as those two parishes are right next to one another.

I'm sorry that I wasn't able to find the records for you myself. Unfortunately, they just don't appear to be available online at all.

If you have any questions regarding the information I've provided, please feel free to contact me.

Peace,
Kari
HistoryGeek, Internet Researcher
Experience: I have a BA in History and a love of all things Genealogy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kari,

Well I see what you found is what I have found. I was hoping that JustAnswer had more connections then I have but as you said there is nothing more online accessable to the general puiblic. I still don't have the definitive answer I was looking for just the assumptions. I will rate you as OK because you did what you could. However I will be cancelling my subscription with JustAnswer.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My question was concise and loaded with lots of info to start the search with. As you said "I'm sorry that I wasn't able to find the records for you myself. Unfortunately, they just don't appear to be available online at all."

It would then be apparent that you were not able to answer my question. I don't know what more to say.

Regards

I will refer you to customer service. Unfortunately, the way that this forum works is that the experts are independant of the company itself...essentially researchers or experts in our field that work from our own resources. Although we can sometimes find or know of records that other folks don't, often when someone has been researching something for years, we may not have anything additional to add to their findings. I do hope you look into the records for the Family History Center though, as I have had great success with their collection in the past.

Peace,
Kari