HistoryGeek
HistoryGeek, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I have a BA in History and a love of all things Genealogy.
69542077

Can you give me any information on my great grandfather Edward

Can you give me any information on my great grandfather Edward Blaxall born in Geelong, Victoria some time in the 1860s but emigrated to NZ and married jessie McLeod. Their first child was born in 1891. Was he of convict origin?
Category: Genealogy
Expert:  HistoryGeek replied 1 year ago.
Hello:

I'm going to do some research and get back to you on this.

Peace,
Kari
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Karl,I've just been in contact with the Public Records Office in NZ and they will be sending me the marriage certificate of my great grand parents who married in 1890 . I've just found out that my great gf's full name was Edward XXXXX XXXXX Blaxall.

Could you find out when the family arrived in Geelong and were they convicts?

Many thanks,

Robyn Richardson

Hello Robyn:

That confirms that the info I've located is the right person, which is good. It does not appear that your ancestors were convicts, at least from the records that I've found on Ancestry.com.

Edward XXXXX XXXXX Blaxall was born in 1867 in Victoria. He was the 5th child born to Norris Blaxall and XXXXX XXXXX (who married in Victoria in 1859). Their children are as follows:

Lucy Maria b. 1860 Chiltern, Victoria
Emily Martha b. 1861 Chiltern, Victoria
XXXXX XXXXX Norris b. 1864 Chiltern, Victoria
Florence Mary b. 1866 Victoria, Victoria
Edward XXXXX XXXXX b. 1867 Victoria, Victoria
Arthur Royce b 1871 Geelong, Victoria
Frederick Ernest b. 1872 Geelong, Victoria

I found that Norris Blaxall was born in 1835 in Tolleshunt, Darcy, Essex, England to XXXXX XXXXX & Lucy Royce Blaxall. I was unable to find an immigration record for him. Through his wife's death notice (which is transcribed below), I was able to deduce that he died about 1887 in New Zealand.

All that I know about XXXXX XXXXX is from her death notice found online from Grey River Argus, 26 Feb 1910, pg:

"Mrs. XXXXX XXXXX Blaxall, mother of W.J.N. Blaxall, manager of the Bank of New South Wales and Messrs. E.R.S, F.E., and A.R. Blaxall, and Mrs. A.D.G. Cumming and Mrs. S. Falla, died at the residence of Mrs. Cumming at Westport. Deceased was a native of Forebridge, Stafford, England and was 75 years of age. She arrived in Melbourne in 1852 with her father and came to Westport in 1873. Her husband pre-deceased her by 23 years."

I hope that this helps in your search. If you have any questions regarding the information I've provided, please feel free to contact me.

Peace,
Kari
HistoryGeek, Internet Researcher
Experience: I have a BA in History and a love of all things Genealogy.