A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist
Experience:  Researcher and genealogist for past 30 years

How can I find out my great grandmothers maiden name ? The

How can I find out my great grandmother's maiden name ? The census says she was born in New York in 1859. That must be how she answered the question. She also says that her patents were born in Ireland. She married at 17 ( to a man from Angelica, New York ) and they lived there for about 10 or 15 years before moving to Michigan. I looked online at the records from Angelica, N Y , but could not find a marriage for them. His name was Andrew G. Charles and her first name was Margaret.
Should I hire a professional researcher to try ? I do not know what to do ?
I am a flight attendant and I have thought about flying up to Angelica to try to look and talk to people there. I can fly free and there were alot of Charles' in that area.
Thank You for your time.
Jane Heinz
Category: Genealogy
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 4 years ago.

Hello, Jane,

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Marriage records are not available online for New York. You need to apply giving as much information as you have, and they will search the records for you. Here is the site to get you started: The fee is quite modest ($22 for a 1-3 year search time frame to $62 for 11-20 years). You will pay a professional researcher $35-50 per hour for their time plus expenses. They would pass along the New York fees to you as expenses.

You are right that Charles is a common name - not just in that area of New York, but everywhere. It would be pure, blind luck to run into someone who can trace their family back to Margaret and Andrew Charles.

I would order the marriage record and then decide what to do.