Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I bought a second hand wii. The startup screen is Mario and

I bought a second hand wii. The startup screen is Mario and all the control icons on the home page are Mario icons. When I try to access system options the unit crashes so I am unable to access the internet or even set the time correctly.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Its an original wii not sure of the age but the serial number is *****
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Been going on as soon as I got the unit. Have tried loading different discs, soft boots resets etc but nothing seems to change. In the options screen it will not display the software version. Is there a way I can reinstall the firmware and go back to square one?
JA: Anything else you want the game expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

You cannot reinstall the firmware but you can try updating it.

A Wii System Update will add new features to upgrade your Wii console. To update your Wii console to the latest version, simply connect your console to the Internet and manually select "Wii System Update" from the Wii System Settings page.

--------------------
Happy New Year!
Your satisfaction is my priority;
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press submit at the top of your question page so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back at any time if you need any further assistance at all.
Pete.
--------------------

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks but if you read my question it clearly states that I cannot connect to the internet as the option screen is NOT accessible. Can I download the update from another source, burn it to disc and load it another way?

The update cannot be done by disc or USB.

What methods have you tried using to connect to the internet - wired or wirelessly?

If you are trying to connect wirelessly, please try to connect with a wire instead to perform the update.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
According to Nintendo the internet connection is enabled via the options menu which I cannot access

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I do not have a wired lan adaptor. I have been attempting to connect wirelessly. I went to the Nintendo web page on how to connect but my menus look different than the ones shown and the option to connect either wired or wirelessly simply is not there. When I enter setup the system just locks up. I have left it for an hour or more and nothing happens

Since wireless is not an option, can you get a wired lan adaptor and try it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Tomorrow I will get one and try it

Ok, let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK hooked up wireless adaptor to USB and connected to router - no change. Tried connecting to my laptop as an external device and no joy. If I select the settings screen the screen goes blank and freezes up and must be unplugged to reboot.Any other ideas - I have read about semi bricking that can result if someone loads a wrong region CD into the Wii. I still cannot believe that there is nothing I can do via the CD drive itself to install a new firmware but by this point I'm ready to cut my losses give the seller a poor rating and simply buy another console. I still do not understand why my interface looks different than the one on the Nintendo webpage unless the previous owner hacked something and managed to screw the unit up this badly.

Sorry, I have been looking into this, and there is no other way around it - you would need specialist programming equipment and software to begin repairing it yourself.

--------------------
Kindly rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page if my answer worked so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
Otherwise please reply back if you need further assistance.
Pete.
--------------------