Aric, Hobbyist
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Turning on the Wii it makes something like a grinding noise

Customer Question

turning on the Wii it makes something like a grinding noise and it shuts down
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: tv is a seiki and no
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I haven't used it in 7 months and this is the first time.
JA: Anything else you want the game expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: there is a disk in it and would like to get it out
Category: Game Systems
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. These symptoms indicates that the disc drive in the Wii has mechanically failed and needs to be replaced. It's not likely you'll get the disc out since the mechanism that ejects the disc is what is causing the noise. All you can try on a user level beyond disassembly is to unplug the Wii from power, then upon plugging back in, press and hold the Eject button for 15 full seconds - or until the disc ejects (whichever comes first). If this does not work the first time, you will want to repeat those steps up to three times. Beyond that, it's out of our control and the unit requires repairs.

If you're looking to do this yourself, please standby while I pull up some instructions for that.

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Alternatively, if this is not something you're comfortable with, then you can contact Nintendo to setup a repair ticket on the Wii below:

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8261/~/set-up-a-repair-for-my-nintendo-product

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating at the top of the page) to reflect that? Thanks in advance.