Dustin, Repair Technician
Experience:  From The ColecoVision to PS3's and XBOX 360's I have been using and repairing game systems for many years! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

I'm trying to upgrade my PS3 from 4.76 to 4.80 and it keeps

Customer Question

Hello, I'm trying to upgrade my PS3 from 4.76 to 4.80 and it keeps giving me error code 8002F997 at 77% of the way though the install of the firmware.
JA: Just to clarify, have you double-checked the code? And what is the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: I have tried both downloading the firmware from the US Playstation website and also though the system it's self.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Rebooted, downloaded firmware to 2 different flash drives, and installing via the systems download update option.
JA: The electronics expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Nope.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Game Systems
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

My suggestion would be to back up your playstation files first.. Then, repair the file system as follows

try restore file system first..

T hen once the ps3 boots try the firmware update.. If it wont take.. Go back to the recovery menu, and now try rebuild database.. this will take longer.

Then, once thats complete try the firmware update again.. If that fails, then finally try restore ps3 system ( but make sure you have backed up your saved game data off the ps3 first, as restore file system will wipe your drive and saves.

After it restores, try the firmware update again.

If you get stuck or run into any issues, let me know.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I tried all of those steps including a full format and restore, and it still fails to install the new firmware.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

It may not like the format of the USb memory stick you are using.

Or, and ive seen this happen before. It could even be your ip address / home wifi that is corrupting the download.

This is what Id try.. Try to connect to a different internet connection then your home connection and download the update from the other connection. For instance, take your PS3 to a friends house, and try to download the firmware update there. And then attempt the install.

When you've had a chance to try this, let me know.

Dustin S