Aric, Hobbyist
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My sharp lc-55le653u is showing black and

Customer Question

My sharp lc-55le653u is showing black and white for component
Category: Game Systems
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, generally when black and white shows on component- it means you need to change the Input to "Composite" or "AV" on the set.

Just to make sure, you're using Red,White and Yellow RCA cables- with the yellow connected to the green port on the TV- is that correct?

If so, select "Video"- not Component and tell me what happens with the color please.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know when you can see my reply.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have the option to choose video, only component
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Something is wrong here then. Please tell me ALL of the Input options each time you press Input please.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

It shows right in the Sharp manual that when you use red,white and yellow you NEED to select "Video". Are you saying that option is not there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tv, HDMI 1, 2,3, component, usb, home network, and miracast are the options I have
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

That's contrary to the manual for this TV. Hang on and I'll see if there's anything else.

Also you are using Red,White and Yellow RCA cables- correct?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

From page 24: "When you connect an AV cable to the COMPONENT/VIDEO IN terminal, switch Input Select
to VIDEO"

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have the option to do that
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

What are you connecting to it please? Does it also have the option to use Red,Blue,Green,Red and White jacks?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm using the yellow red and white cables I also have blue red and green as well
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it has the jacks
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

What are you connecting to the TV please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Blue red and green cables
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

What device- what is the component- not talking about the cables??

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

In other words is it a DVD player, cable box, game console? What is the make and model? Please elaborate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a cable box
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Scientific Atlanta explorer 1850
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, so what happens if you remove the RWY cables, and instead connect the reed,blue,green,red and white to the SAME colored jacks on both devices, THEN select Component?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Yes? Please read my last reply again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that already it shows black and white
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

That makes no sense, I will opt out and open the question.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Since no one has jumped in, I have a few more ideas.

1) How old is this TV?

2) Are you 100% certain you matched the red,blue,green cables to the red,blue,green jacks on both devices?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just bought it its sharp smart tv
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I know it's a Sharp Smart TV I have the manual in front of me and am familiar with the set.

Are you 100% certain you matched the red,blue,green cables to the red,blue,green jacks on both devices?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's correct
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is what I have on the tv
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Then you have a defective TV- there's no way around that.

Red,White and Yellow connect to the Red,White and Green jacks respectively- then you select "Video" from the Input selections- and you're saying you have no "Video" option.

Red,Blue,Green,Red and White connect to those same colored jacks, and then you select "Component" to get a full color picture- and you're saying you get a black and white picture on this Input.

These symptoms indicate that your TV is defective and should be returned to the retailer for an exchange.

However you can try a hard reboot of the set to see if that helps.

Disconnect the set from power then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 10 seconds and release. Wait a minute then plug it back in and press power once. Select component using the RGB cables and see if the picture is still in black and white.

If so, then do you have another source such as a DVD player that you can attempt to connect to the TV to see if the same issue occurs?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If not, could you please click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts? It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can it possibly be the set top box? I plugged in the DVD player and it showed color but it's distorted and I plugged in a hard drive via the USB port and it's perfect color
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay good test! If the DVD and HD worked fine and in perfect color, then this would point to the problem being with the STB.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The DVD wasn't perfect color it was distorted. But it should be the stb thanks
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. Can you please click the 5 STARS so I am credited?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.