green-owl
green-owl, Engineer
Experience:  Other than the Philips CDI, i know them all.
14666028

Rod, i purchased my ps2 (the big one) from a pawn store and

Customer Question

hi rod, i purchased my ps2 (the big one) from a pawn store and she hooked it up there for me and it worked perfectly.. i get home and on 3 tvs and about 6-7 different rca jacks (red white and yellow) and it wont come in in color.. black n white works fine but cant get color on any of my tvs.. same cables as the pawn shop had it hooked up with and i had a spare set.. cant figure this out..
Category: Game Systems
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

hello. My name is***** can help you with your question. Of course I would bring this back to just one set of cables to test it out but I would also do a complete reset system. What can happen is that the system will get stuck in a certain video mode and then not change if you've change the cables. So first unplugging completely and then when plugging it in press and hold the power button. Continue to press and hold the power button until it beeps 3 times and then let go. After a few minutes the system should come back up reset and then work properly. When it does make sure you have the audio and video cables plug in that you intend to use from that point forward it will automatically protect those cables and should appear properly. If not or if you still have questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For starters there isn't a power button it's a toggle switch on the back on the front there's a reset button but as far as the power button goes its a toggle switch on the back side
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried to send pics but dont think it worked..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello??

Yes - for the toggle switch, slide and hold. Same thing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't slide it's on or off.. holding it does Nuthin at all.. if you flip it on its on.. your response makes no sense to the way my system is designed..

Try this instead

Turn on the system with nothing in the tray so it will load into the dashboard. Press DOWN and then X. Hit DOWN, DOWN, DOWN then X then LEFT then X again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was it supposed to do sumthin besides take the rgb (the last 3 letters) off?

It resets the system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It takes me to the system configuration screen..I turn it on n it goes to the browser / system configuration screen and following ur directions doesn't reset it.. it just sits there..
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Rusty. I'd like to give this problem a shot. Are you still having trouble? Where is it plugged into your TV now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have red white n yellow rca cables from the deck to the tv. Everything works fine just no color..
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Ok, and where on the TV do you have it plugged in? Here is what will cause black and white:

If the yellow cable is plugged into the wrong port on the TV.

Some TVs have a setting to use RGB vs YPbPr. You want to select RGB for composite.

Can you take a look in your TV's video settings?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tried moving the rca cables around but right now they are in the front lower right..I had my old ps2 and my current xbox hooked up the same way.. I do not get this.. I'm baffled..
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

How about the RGB setting in your Xbox? Is it set to RGB now? (I can't remember if the 2 has those settings, but please take a look.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't see that setting on my TV but I do have it on the ps2 and it is set to rgb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me hook up my xbox real quick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not see any settings on my xbox for the RGB
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Switch the ps2 into YPbPr, does that produce color?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything looks identical to the RGB setting
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Hmm, so Michael had you reset it, we've confirmed it's on YPbPr, do you see another setting on your PS2 that tells it to output composite (YPbPr) or component (RGB)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He said he reset it but when he told me to do it the down up down down whatever it was it didn't do anything so I don't think it reset and no there wasn't any other settings on here either
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Turn on the system with nothing in the tray so it will load into the dashboard. Look in your settings for a factory reset. He gave you the buttons to get there, which are DOWN and then X. Hit DOWN, DOWN, DOWN then X then LEFT then X again. Watch the screen, it's not a secret code, it's how to navigate the setup menu to the reset.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can we talk on phone?? It'd be a lot easier..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All that does is take me into the configuration of the rgb and the other one.. that series of instructions does not reset this machine.. it does Nuthin but change the rgb to the other series of letters we switched to earlier..
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Let me open the question back up. I have a house call this morning, but if you haven't been helped by the time I return, I'll pick it back up.

Expert:  green-owl replied 1 year ago.

Hi. The first thing i do when i get a used console is to open it and clean all the dust. Dust can contain a lot of carbon that can conduct between component and also reduce the air flow of the fan (over heat can cause weird behavior). It is possible that at the store, humidity and heat and the dust positioning inside the console was different. The PS2 was really a console prone to dust, make sure it is very clean and that the fan operate well and retry.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I'll take it apart and clean it up and I'll get back to you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope that did nuthing..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?? Is anyone still helping me or did everyone abandon my issue..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Imagine that I get passed around again does anyone actually have the ability y p help me out or should I give up on this service