Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I cannot sign into the Playstation network. I did not

Customer Question

Hi, I cannot sign into the Playstation network. I did not change anything to change except updating Hulu Plus. When I try to sign in (trying different passwords), I get the message, "an error has occurred (8071OB36)" Note: Can not be sure whether the O
is a letter or number. I can view Amazon prime video without signing into the PS3 network, but not Netflix or Hulu Plus, although I had in the past with no problem. Also, when watching Amazon Prime it will sometimes says HD 1080p while in the same show it
will just say HD or the HD will be grayed out (with a worse picture). When I check the wireless speed with my IPAD it is around 18-19 Mbps. The PS3 system has been disconnected from the media server, although when I check media server on PS3 it says enabled.
When I try to access the medias server on my PS# ***** says, "Access to the media server is not allowed,. "It is possible that the system name for this PS3 system "PS3-998" has not been registered. Check the settings for the media server." Lot of info here, so
can break into multiple questions if you like (for example, question for signing into PS3 and another for lack of DLNA, unable to access internet speed. Thanks!
Category: Game Systems
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
You will need to register the PS3 with your Media Server (computer):
Go to "Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center.
Select "Homegroup".
Change advanced sharing settings".
On this page, expand the "Home or Work".
Select:
"Turn on network discovery"
"Turn on file and printer sharing"
Then go to "Change Homegroup Settings: and check the items you want share:
Pictures
Music
Video
Documents...etc
Check "Stream my pictures, music, and videos to all devices on my home network".
Click on the "Choose media streaming options" link.
On this page, for "show devices on:" and select "all networks."
On the drop-down menu that opens, you will see multiple devices with one called "unknown device" in front of which is marked "blocked."
Allow this device (your PS3) and save the settings.
You should now be able to connect to your media server again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I followed instructions, but when went to my PS3 I could not check internet speed because it stated the sign-in ID
(e-mail address) or password ***** ***** correct. When I tried to log-in and retrieve password, I receive the message, "An error has occurred 80710B36." Again, not sure if letter O or number 0. Assume letter O. Top of screen says PS3 has been disconnected from the media server. I can still access Amazon Prime programming. Other suggestions? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just noticed when when back to PC it did not retain all networks; rather, local. Save changes is greyed out. So currently the PS, which shows up, can not be allowed as cannot be saved due to save button being greyed out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I click on an icon in video for example (Gregg-PC), the PS3 comes back with, "Access to the media server is not allowed. It is possible that the system name for this PS3, PS3-998, has not been registered. Check the settings for the media server.Also, side issue, probably ISP issue, but picture on Amazon is mostly not HD....will flux to HD now and then but never 1080p today.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also, when clicked on Gregg-PC icon, it added a second Gregg-PC under video, and also added Gregg:. so now says Gregg-PC Gregg:
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Did you recently change or reset your password?
If so, the saved password ***** the PS3 will need to be updated.
You can check your password ***** ***** working by trying to log on to the playstation forums using your computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, but was still logged out of pen network.....so tried to change password.....when try tmo reset it will not let me....se post above regarding error message. I tried on my other ps3 in bedroom and was able to check ISP sped and log into netflix and hulu....but then logged out of ps3 network and could not get back in. Tried above advice with laptop and saving chanes to hime group also greyed out.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hmm ok let me see if another expert has any ideas on this...