Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  Console Game Developer Since 1983. Game Enthusiast from Childhood
23511658

Hello, PS3 Issue. "The key information exchange timed out."

PS3 Issue. "The key information exchange timed out."

This PS3 is a few years old. Never had any issues connecting up until a few months ago when it did this exact same thing, its resolution at that time is still a mystery. Use it almost daily without any issues and now it will not get past PlayStation Network sign in. Most often is fails at "obtaining IP address", sometimes it fails at "internet connection", and once since this started a few days ago I have gotten it to connect to both of those steps but fail at PSNetwork. Now it is back to failing at the IP Address.

It shows my network at 100% signal strength and I have input my password XXXXX 50 times in the last few days trying to get logged in, I couldn't have mistyped it all of those times - the password XXXXX XXXXX the issue. Our 2 laptops and 2 iphones are all able to connect wirelessly without problems. Again, worked flawlessly previously. No changes were made to hardware or software updates when it suddenly stopped.

I have uplugged/let sit/repowered the modem, the wireless router and the ps3. I have tried to connect through the ps3 "internet connection settings" both with easy and custom set ups. It always shows my access point with 100% signal strength, (security is WPA2-PSK) I have tried manually inputting my IP address as well as automatic.

Thank you.
Hello. I can assist you with your question.

So far you have done the correct things. However, this error is usually related to having a uPnP device on the network - maybe a media server. So it's very likely being caused by another device, particularly a media server.

You can check by disabling existing media servers on your network. This would include other game consoles, Blu Ray players, TVs - anything that streams media. It could also be a computer running Windows 7 or 8.

Then go through the connection settings with custom, but select the network and let it create the settings automatically.

Finally, if it's still not working, you can change your router Wifi security from WPA2-PSK to WPA-PSK. It should work with both, but I have had issues with both the PS3 and the PSP connecting to WPA2. I don't have a good reason for it, but it has happened to me. It can also be related to the channel of the wireless on your router - although I don't think that's the case if you have a strong signal. More likely a uPnP device or the security type.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mike,

Still no luck. I turned off media streaming for my laptop first; without success. Changing security settings didn't work, but turning off security completely lets me log in. That will have to do I guess. Thanks.

That means it has to have something to do with the PSK part of the WPA2. Do you have a setting on your router for WPA2-AES?