Aric , Hobbyist
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

my playstation 3 quit working in the middle of the game. when

my playstation 3 quit working in the middle of the game. when I waited for it to cool
I turned it back on but it flashes a yellow light then goes flashing red. my cd will
not eject. help.
Category: Game Systems
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

Which PS3 do you have (original, 40g,80g,160g, Slim,etc.)?

Also, how long have you had it for?

Does the light blink continuously, or in a pattern, such as 3 blinks, pause, 3 blinks, pause, etc.?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think it is original, I bought it in 2008. the lights blink continuously.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the reply.

Shut the hard power button off on the back of the PS3, then disconnect the power cord from the wall. Wait 20 seconds, then plug it back in and turn on the hard power switch on the rear. Then immediately press and hold the Eject button on the fron of the unit for 20 seconds- or until the disc Ejects whichever comes first. Let me know what happens and we can proceed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the game station is 40 g

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Okay, did you try the steps above or no?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes. the red light comes on but when I push the eject button nothing

happens

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the reply.

When you turn on the PS3 does the Fan turn on?

Also, do you hear the Eject motor running when you press Eject?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no to both questions

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.

If there is no Fan, nor will the disc Eject, then this indicates that the internal Power Supply is faulty and needs to be replaced. This is a fairly common issue with the older version PS3 40G, and 80G Models. If you choose to send it to Sony, you're looking at a $190 parts and labor repair- and also being without the PS3 for several weeks waiting for them to repair it. You can also replace the Power Supply yourself in about a hal hour, with nothing more than a screwdriver.

The link below is where you can purchase the Power Supply for your PS3:

http://www.tmart.com/Power-Supply-Internal-for-Sony-PS3_p117582.html?fixed_price=us_us&utm_source=base&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=product&gclid=CJiAtOba3rYCFfR9OgodllUArw

Additionally, there is a Video at the link below which shows you how to make this repair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKmg7e7ufJM

Cost for the part is not very expensive, and should give you a few more good, solid years out of your PS3. If you're not comfortable repairing this yourself, then at Sony's cost of $190, I would personally put the same money towards one of the newer versions of the PS.

If you need further assistance let me know.

If you're satisfied with my service, please kindly rate the answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

if you think that this is the problem, I can probably repair it myself. I know I smelled something like burnt wiring or whatever is inside this thing. would this change your answer.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
No, that wouldn't change my answer. The power supply produces alot of heat, and when it fails, it typically is a heat related failure and the regulator IC chip inside of it would burn.