Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.

My playstation is about 3 years. Old. I cannot access it with

My playstation is about 3 years. Old. I cannot access it with the tv. It was working fine last evening. When I try to access it with tv, I only get a black screen with audio only. I have changed the hdmi cable and the connection to the tv no change. I have tried unplugging it and plugging it back in, no change. Do I have a problem with the playstation or a software problem.
Is the playstation finished.

Thanks Kent brown
Hello Kent,
Welcome to JustAnswer!
I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

Does the PS turn on normally? What is the status of the lights on the front of the PS?
Are any other HDMI devices connected to your TV? If so, are they working ok?
Do you have a different TV you can test the PS on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The PS does seem to turn on normally, all of the lights are on. I even put a DVD in and it sounded like it was running. I do get the PS screen for about 1 sec. then it disappears. The black screen that shows has FULL at the top but nothing else is showing almost as if it was trying to run something. Again as I mentioned before I was running normal DVDs Tuesday evening with no problems.

The PS3 has not been used since Tuesday evening until last evening when I tried running a DVD. This black screen showed up. My wife said that in the past week she has heard funny noises in the machine but I have not heard that.

I tried everything I could think of, changed the HDMI cable, plugged the HDMI cable into a different HDMI plug, no difference. I do also have a TV cable box plugged into the TV with HDMI cable which works perfectly. I am sure it is not the TV.

Presently I do not have any other TVs that will take HDMI cables.

Anything else let me know.

Ok, if the PS appears to be running normally and no error or warning lights are on the front of it, then it may be a HDMI signal problem.

The next steps in troubleshooting this problem are to either try the PS on a different TV with the same HDMI connection, or use a different type of cable connection to your existing TV (e.g. an AV cable).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will try this and let you know.

Ok, let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for checking. I tried using the AVI cable, no luck. I tried another TV, no luck. I spoke to some technicians in Future Shop where I purchased the unit. They indicated that they thought it was probably the motherboard. They indicated this version tends to heat up more and can affect the contacts inside. This sounds reasonable as I was getting a scond or two where it came on then flipped off. This sound like some contact may not be sound. The technician at Future Shop indicated it that it would cost minimal $100.00 to send the unit for a checkup, not worth it as my extended warranty ran out Apri 4, 2013.

I ended up buying a new PS3. Let me know if there is anything else I could do? If I can get it working it would be a good backup unit. Does this sound plausible from what the technician at Future Shop indicates?

Thanks for your great help.

Kent Brown