Aric , Hobbyist
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

my older ps3 is over acting like it is over heating and shutting

my older ps3 is over acting like it is over heating and shutting down .how ever when i chek the air coming from the fan it bery feels warm ?what are the poseble problems and/or fixes.
Category: Game Systems
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. When the unit shuts down, does it blink a Green, Yellow or Red light on the front of the unit? Or does it simply shut completely off with no lights on the front?

Additionally, is this the original (large bodied), PS 3?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it is the larg body and the red light is blicking.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the reply.

Has the PS3 ever given you any failures with regards XXXXX XXXXX etc. downloaded on the Hard Drive?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not to my noleg

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the reply. The problem you're having with the PS3, is that the internal power supply is overheating, thus shutting the system off. This is common failure, because over time the supply will weaken and eventually begin to fail. The solution is to replace the Power Supply inside the unit which can be purchased at the link below:

http://video-game-repair-parts.com/playstation-3-ps3-power-supplys-c-2_9/ps3-power-supply-aps-231-p-358?gclid=CMzTu5HX67UCFYqf4AodrXIAiQ

Please click on the Youtube link below to see detailed directions as to how to replace the Power Supply yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKmg7e7ufJM

If you need further assistance, simply reply back and do NOT rate the answer.

If this answers your question, please rate the answer with a "GOOD" or better, as it is the only way we Experts get paid for our work, and knowledge on the site. Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have replaist the power suply .however the probble remains .

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Okay, in order to help me troubleshoot your issue, that could have been noted in the "Already Tried" section of the page. If you've already replced the Power Supply, then there are only two other components that could cause the problem you're having and that is the Hard Drive or the Blu Ray drive. There is no way to test which is causing the problem without installing the HD or the Disc drive in another working PS3 to see if they cause a known good PS3 to shut down. I'm not sure which direction you're looking to go here, but you would need to purchase both the HD and the Blu Ray drive and replace one at a time to see which cures the issu- then send the uneeded component back to the retailer for a refund (which will be less restocking fees in most cases).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry i didn't say mor .not in to tiping much.i'll try the blue ray sins i have alredy tride the hard drive .thanks

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the reply. Yes, those are pretty much all that comprise the PS3- the Power SUpply, Hard Drive and Blu Ray drive. Also, a tip is not necessary of course, but could you please rate my answer positively so that I receive credit for my service?