Cher, Master's Level LanguageTeacher
Experience:  Master's Level Foreign Language Teacher/Tutor with over 35 years experience.

Just looking at all the categories and this one says FRENCH.

Just looking at all the categories and this one says FRENCH. Not French what - except I guess it has to do with education. Can you tell me what it is exactly that you do?

Hello, Gayle and welcome back to Just Answer.

Our French category is a sub-category within our Homework category. You are correct, that it is mainly related to education, as we help students with homework and also do short translations.

Are you looking to refresh your language skills in French?

Best regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was considering. Unfortunately I will have to move mountains to have my granddaughter take French so I will have someone to talk to. School only offers Spanish. We are challenging their requirement. So don't know exactly I would handle that.

How would I go about refreshing my skills? I could teach her if I could pick it back up myself. Reading and writing also.

Hi again, Gayle and thanks for your reply with additional information.

It seems nowadays, that schools are offering fewer language courses and have phased out everything but Spanish. You will most likely have an uphill battle in challenging that language requirement in your granddaughter's school. I think they were also finding that fewer students were selecting French for their language requirement and that's why they did away with those classes.

The best way to refresh your skills would be to enroll in an Adult Continuing Education program at your local High School or Community School, which usually holds classes in the evenings. Some have day classes too, depending on your location.

It's also a good idea to immerse yourself in the language by finding people in your area who speak French natively and try to find tv and radio stations that are broadcast in French. I don't know your location, but make sure that when you hear French on your tv or radio, that it is pure French and not Creole or Patois, which is a dialect spoken in Jamaica and Haiti. It will be more difficult to find native speakers of French and tv/radio programs to listen to in French, rather than Spanish, but I would recommend looking around for those French classes to refresh your memory, and then you will be able to practice your reading, writing and speaking in a supportive setting.

Another idea for you is to look into buying a French language program which contains cd's and books. Rosetta Stone is a well-recommended program, but is quite costly.

I wish you much good luck and hope you are able to recover your French skills and teach your granddaughter the language!

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please click 'Reply to Expert' before rating, direct your reply to me, "Cher", and I will be glad to continue our conversation.

Please rate with positive feedback (smiley face) when you are satisfied with my answer. Thank you! Your satisfaction is always my greatest priority!

Best regards,