EULawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Titular Attorney (Avocat) at Ioan-Luca Vlad Law Office

How can I be automatically notified of the death of a

Customer Question

How can I be automatically notified of the death of a surviving spouse.
In this case my stepmother (the surviving spouse) made a decision to live in my father's house in the south of France (In Cereste about 45 minutes east of Avignon near the town of Apt) for her lifetime after his death a couple of years ago.
I think the decision to live in the house for her lifetime was done correctly with a notaire.
I do not live in France or speak French and am not on speaking terms with my stepmother.
I am happy to let her live in the house (100% owned by my father before his death) for her lifetime.
I am wondering if there is a service that someone in France offers to notify heirs so that upon her death I can sell the house?
If so please let me know how the process works and what the fee will be?
Later I will need help with the sales contract also.
Example - if a death certificate is filed can an automatic search notify an heir?
Note there was a notaire that handled the estate but she did not speak English and I don't want to rely on her in the future to notify me as I don't have confidence in her communication skills.
Kind regards,
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: French Law
Expert:  EULawyer replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!
As your European Law expert, I am reviewing your question and will try to find a good answer for you.

Expert:  EULawyer replied 1 month ago.

Dear *****,

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, there is no official service to notify someone of a death, nor of the filing of a death certificate. You have to organize this yourself, either by making local acquaintances, or by setting up "alerte de deces" on private websites. The second option is very easy, just follow the "alerte deces" links in the following websites: ; . Another way, if you do not want to register, is to make constant online searches, and on the two mentioned site, to which you can also add this one, which does not offer the alert service:

Once you have found an obituary, use the information there to request an official death certificate. That can be done for free by anyone on the following link:

Once you have the certificate, you can deal with the estate. Regarding the notary, the problem is you might have to go back to the same one, or one nearby. This is because in France, notaries have exclusive geographical competence for estates in their area, and sometimes there is just one notary per area. Therefore, you may wish to have an English-speaking local attorney with you, or just a translator, but you might not be able to avoid the notary.

I hope my answer was useful and look forward to your rating, which is essential to my activity.

Dr I L Vlad