EULawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Titular Attorney (Avocat) at Ioan-Luca Vlad Law Office

I have lived in France with my daughter for 2 years in

Customer Question

I have lived in France with my daughter for 2 years in bordeaux with a signed consent order from australia. 2 years has passed and my husband is about to file a petition under The Hague convention on child abduction to force us to return to Australia. France is now home to my daughter who is settled, attending school and activities and I consider this to be her place of habitual residence. This is supported by teachers and psychologists. I believe that there is a strong case that given the length of time and the child's acclimatization in France, this hague petition should NOT be allowed and seek for the french courts to refuse The Hague petition that we return to Australia. Hague convention applications are quick (typically 6 weeks) so I would need to find an expert experienced lawyer on this area to work with so we can remain in France quickly. It would be disruptive, and my child has some special needs. Also, I have experienced abuse (physical and emotional) in the past from my husband and wish all future proceedings regarding my daughters custody be held in France. My daughter and I are dual australia and European (Malta) citizens. Thank you, angela
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: French Law
Expert:  EULawyer replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!
As your European Law expert, I am reviewing your question and will try to find a good answer for you.

Expert:  EULawyer replied 1 month ago.

Dear Madam,

I am very sorry for your situation. According to the JA terms of service, this is not an attorney service, just a general legal information service. We can neither recommend an attorney, nor ourselves (also, I am not based in France at the moment).

Given the urgency of your situation, I can only strongly advise taking up a local English-speaking attorney, who can go to court and deal with the issue directly with you. Here you will find the lists of English-speaking attorneys prepared by the US Embassy, by region of France:

Feel free not to rate my answer. If you do not, the question will be closed and you will not pay anything.

Dr I L Vlad