TKenney, Ph.D.
TKenney, Ph.D., French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour)
Experience:  Practicing law in France, 10+ years of experience on Paris Bar. Taught French Business Law in US

I cancelled my annual Autolib subscription in writing

Customer Question

I cancelled my annual Autolib subscription in writing accompanying a cheque. I did not register the letter as I had to post it when the post office was closed due to work travel commitments. I assumed the cheque being cashed would serve as proof of receipt of the letter. While the cheque was cashed within four days, Autolib deny receiving the letter. Even though the account was also suspended they renewed the subscription for another year.
Many attempts to resolve the issue with Autolib have been futile. Please advise if I am liable for the renewed subscription, which was against my written wishes and on an account that was suspended.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: French Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for your question, which I will be happy to assist you with.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Are you based in the UK?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks Ben. I am currently based in Paris, France. However, I will leave next week to resume permanent residence in Ireland. I'd like to sort out the issue before I leave. The question is whether I am liable for the renewed subscription fee's. Autolib will not engage in any discussions, so at this point I wonder should I pay but then pursue a claim for a refund?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Hi there. Thank you for your response. As I assist with English law, I will opt out so that another expert can assist you. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Did you follow the specific rules for cancellation as per any contract you had with them?