TKenney, Ph.D.
TKenney, Ph.D., French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour)
Experience:  Practicing law in France, 10+ years of experience on Paris Bar. Taught French Business Law in US
52682299

My 88 year old widowed mother in now living in her own home

Customer Question

Hi - My 88 year old widowed mother in now living in her own home as a usufruit in her own home in Alsace. My father died in June 2015. Since, she's asking us five children - to sign several documents giving her access to all bank accounts in France, including keeping our inheritance of 35,000 Euros (each) under her control.
Is this right?
Thank you, KS
Category: French Law
Expert:  T Perrin C replied 5 months ago.

Hi!

Under French inheritance law, the widow can choose (she need not consult the heirs of the deceased) to keep 100% of the deceased's assets in ususfructus - including monetary assets. Unless your father made a will (which would limit this), there is nothing you can do about it.