TKenney, Ph.D.
TKenney, Ph.D., French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour)
Experience:  Practicing law in France, 10+ years of experience on Paris Bar. Taught French Business Law in US

Is it legal to expect a family with a child to live in a

Customer Question

Is it legal to expect a family with a young child to live in a household with no working electricity?
After signing a contract to move into our new house on 21st July, with a move in date starting 29th July. I put in the request with our electricity, gas and phone supplier to move our contracts to the new residence.
Engie have stated that there are no available technicians to enable electricity to the house until August 2nd. Resulting in 5 days with no working electricity and no gas. Since it is summer, gas for hot water can be dealt with however no electricity at all to cook, store food etc is unacceptable when there is a small child in the household.
Category: French Law
Expert:  T Perrin C replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to say but there is no law requiring utility companies to enable gas/electricity. Worse: Should your child suffer from this situation, which I am certain he/she will not, the public prosecution service would bring proceedings against... you. Since the law has it in France that you have to take precautions before moving and ensure that all was in order before you moved.

Quite often, the waiting period to have electricity/water/gas connected can be as long as 4 weeks. And unfortunately, you cannot force utilities providers to accommodate your moving-in date, except contractually if they guaranteed a set waiting period connection service, which they are cautious enough not to. In fact all providers have to go through ENEDIS and GRDF who have a monopoly on the grid... And consumers have no choice but to wait.

Average waiting period for connection to the electric grid of a new built property when the installation is completed is about 3 months...