EULawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Titular Attorney (Avocat) at Ioan-Luca Vlad Law Office

I received a driving ban in France recently, and have

Customer Question

Hi, I received a driving ban in France recently, and have received a form today, but I'm not 100% certain what it says.
Category: French Law
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have uploaded a scan of the form here
Expert:  EULawyer replied 3 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your question. I will translate the essential:

"Temporary interdiction of driving in France issued within 72 hours from the confiscation of the licence.

The prefect [...], considering that [your personal details], was subject to a proces-verbal for having committed a violation of the driving code, and the confiscation of his driving licence, for the reason of a speed over that authorized; and considering that the grave and imminent danger represented by himself for the security of road users, of his potential passengers and of himself;

Art. 1 - There shall be an interdiction of driving on French territory with a duration of 1 month and 15 days from the moment when the present is notified pronounced against [yourself], who is the owner of a foreign driver's licence. [there is an extra text which does not fit in which wants to say that you also had a positive medical check, probably for alcohol]

Art. 2 - The present decision ceases to have effect if a judicial decision for the same violation imposes a restrictive measure on your right to drive. It will be considered as non-existing if an ordnance of non-pursuit [which is issued by the prosecutor] or a less restrictive judgement is issued. In that case, the driver's licence will be given back to [yourself], on presenting a definitive extract of the court judgment.

Art. 3 - The present will be notified to [yourself and the authorities]. [...]"

Basically, your driver's licence was suspended 1 month and 15 days for going over the speed limit. You can contest the decision in court, in which case if the court finds you not guilty, you can take it back earlier (but I have to say the court process rarely lasts less than a month, so there is not much point in doing so). Otherwise, you will receive it back in 1 month and 15 days automatically.

I hope my answer was useful and look forward to your rating, which is essential to my activity.

Dr I L Vlad

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks very much. The "visits medical" bit was what confused me - does "positive" mean good? If so great! I hadn't been drinking, and wasn't tested for alcohol.