EULawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Titular Attorney (Avocat) at Ioan-Luca Vlad Law Office

Bon jour! I'm interested in immigrating (in about 3 years)

Customer Question

Bon jour! I'm interested in immigrating (in about 3 years) to France, but I have a mental health history record in the United States (involuntary commitment due to suicidal ideation). I've been successfully treated, but wanted to know how bad the difficulties will be because of this.
Category: French Law
Expert:  EULawyer replied 2 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your question. The answer is this will not count against you. According to French law, such issues like involuntary commitment for psychological reasons are considered civil issues, which are not taken into account, if they happened abroad, unless they are current, and judicially recognized in France. Since from your question I understand that this situation is closed, in the past, there is no threat of it diminishing your chances of immigration to France. You should simply ignore it, in the knowledge that such an order (of involuntary commitment) has no value in French law, unless it is judicially recognized. Since the only person who can ask for it is yourself, as the person being protected, and you have absolutely no interest in doing so, it will not be an issue in France.

I hope my answer was useful and look forward to your rating, which is essential to my activity.

Dr I L Vlad