TKenney, Ph.D.
TKenney, Ph.D., French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour)
Experience:  Practicing law in France, 10+ years of experience on Paris Bar. Taught French Business Law in US
52682299

What r my rights an american wife married to a french citizen

Customer Question

what r my rights an american wife married to a french citizen upon his death
Category: French Law
Expert:  EULawyer replied 7 months ago.
Dear Madam,Thank you for your question. I understand you mean what will you get out of your French husband's estate.To answer this question I will need to know the following:-> which country, and in the case of the US, which state you live in;-> whether you have children (together, or his own);-> whether he has assets (no need to describe them) in one or more countries and state the countries.This is because estate law is local. If you live in France, for example, French law will apply for everything he owns in Europe, which will make you the heir for between a half and the entire estate, depending on what living relatives he has. If you live in the US, then other laws apply, depending on your state. This is why I need the answers above.Looking forward to working with you,Cordially,Dr I L Vlad