EULawyer
EULawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Titular Attorney (Avocat) at Ioan-Luca Vlad Law Office
84559455

I have a British client who has moved to France and

Customer Question

Hello I have a British client who has moved to France and pays tax there. She is about to receive a 'tax-free' lump sum from a UK pension. Do you know if this will be tax-free in France also, or will it be taxable there?
Category: French Law
Expert:  EULawyer replied 7 months ago.
Dear Customer,Thank you for your question. The answer depends on what kind of pension we are talking about. There are two kinds:1. Government pension (if your client was an employee of the British government or local authorities in Britain);2. Some armed forces pensions (detailed below); and2. Any other pension.In case 1, and 2 there is no French income tax to be paid, on the basis of Article 19 points 2 and 4, respectively of the French-UK Dual Taxation Treaty (available here, where at Article 19 point 4 you will find the full list of army pensions included in the exemption).In case 3, French taxes would apply, on the basis of Article 18 of the same treaty, which says that pensions are to be taxed in the state of residence of the recipient.I am sorry if my answer was not completely positive, but please understand I can only explain, not change the law.I hope it was useful, though, and look forward to your rating, which is essential to my activity.Cordially,Dr I L Vlad
Expert:  EULawyer replied 7 months ago.