EULawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Titular Attorney (Avocat) at Ioan-Luca Vlad Law Office

Tim. Is there a way to determine whether a European Arrest

Customer Question

Tim. Is there a way to determine whether a European Arrest Warrant has been issued against someone?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: someone in France has alleged a friend posted sex videos online without consent and implied this could cause problems. My friend is the nervous type and is worried about traveling to Europe if there is any possibility charges could have been filed.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Barristers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: French Law
Expert:  EULawyer replied 6 months ago.
Dear Customer,Thank you for your question.You should know that there is no general database of European Arrest Warrants, and no EU-wide means to check. However, since the facts allegedly took place in France, there is one good place to check, for free:Your friend should go to this address (, which is a governmental French site dedicated to requesting criminal records. Select the option 'Vous etes ne(e) hors de France' (you are born outside France) and continue filling the form from then on (keep Google Translate to hand, as well as passport and birth certificate). Contrary to what is often thought, criminal records can be issued for foreigners as well, so your friend, even if a US citizen, can obtain one. Once they go through the forms, the French will send the original criminal record by post.This record includes any outstanding warrants that France knows about for your friend's name and personal data. Therefore, in most cases, an European Arrest Warrant would appear in there. It is not 100% excluded for there to be a 'hidden' warrant, for whatever reason (for example, because the issuing country can 'target' it to a certain EU country, rather than put it out to all), but normally every EAW is in the Schengen Information System, which means it is known by France as well.I hope that my answer is useful and look forward to your rating, which is essential to your activity.Cordially,Dr I L Vlad