TKenney, Ph.D.
TKenney, Ph.D., French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour)
Experience:  Practicing law in France, 10+ years of experience on Paris Bar. Taught French Business Law in US
52682299

I deserted from the foreign legion 10 years ago. I was 23.

Customer Question

Hi i deserted from the foreign legion 10 years ago. I was 23. It was not wartime, nor did i take any weapons. I left during summer leave. I was there about 11mnths before i deserted. I missed my family. Can i enter france (airport) without being arrested? Or suffer any other "punishment"
Ive been invited to monte carlo and i have to take plane to Nice airport. What will happen when i arrive?
Category: French Law
Expert:  T Perrin C replied 8 months ago.

At 33 you can still serve in the army. The statute of limitation for desertion begins to run when you are over the age limit to serve in the military.

As of now, you risk being arrested at passport control to face desertion charges. In time of peace, is proved guilty, this carries a maximum penalty of three years in prison.