TKenney, Ph.D.
TKenney, Ph.D., French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour)
Experience:  Practicing law in France, 10+ years of experience on Paris Bar. Taught French Business Law in US
52682299

If a person sends a statement by email (email may be

Customer Question

If a person sends a statement by email (email may be considered to be a group email account) and signed it on behalf of say a group of people (for example "The Smith Family") to another person - can it be considered defamatory?
Category: French Law
Expert:  T Perrin C replied 1 year ago.

It depends what's on the email, and who the recipients of the email are. The signature in itself does not alter the defamatory nature of the email in one way or the other.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should have phrased my question above as follows - Does sending an email from a group email address and signed (for example "The Smith Family") to one recipient mean that the contents are considered published or is it still like a private email address to one recipient and still considered private?