T Perrin C
T Perrin C, Consultant: information en droit du travail
Experience:  8 years as a Senior judge at Paris Conseil de Prud'hommes (Paris Industrial Tribunal)
46873171

Can I set up a rival business to the firm I've just left where

Customer Question

Can I set up a rival business to the firm I've just left where I was a partner?
If yes, is there any stipulation to boundaries, ie can the new firm be within three miles of the existing firm?
Thank you
Mel
Category: French Law
Expert:  T Perrin C replied 1 year ago.
Basically, unless you had any kind of a anti-competition agreement with you ex-partners, you can do so freely provided (and it is often a thin limit un court):- you make no reference whatsoever to your previous experience when dealing with customers or seeking new business.- the way you do business, your new business name, is differently enough in such manner that the average customer cannot make any confusion between both businesses.- you do not poach the other business'clients list.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.It was really a research question as I'm writing a book.Appreciate your answer.Mel
Expert:  T Perrin C replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. Please do not forget to rate my answer positively.