TKenney, Ph.D.
TKenney, Ph.D., French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour)
Experience:  Practicing law in France, 10+ years of experience on Paris Bar. Taught French Business Law in US
52682299

I am Irish, married to a French woman since 2008 with 2 children

Customer Question

I am Irish, married to a French woman since 2008 with 2 children who hold dual nationality. I have lived in France for 2 years. I am coming into an inheritance of several hundred thousand from my Irish family (mother) and am trying to find out if I will have to pay inheritance tax in Ireland, France, both or either? Also since I am about to apply for French nationality (keeping my Irish as well)will this change the inheritance tax laws?
Category: French Law
Expert:  T Perrin C replied 1 year ago.
It all depends whether you mother was a French resident or not, and of whether she died in France or not. Nationality is not so relevant in this matter. If the deceased was an Irish resident who died in Ireland then only Irish inheritance tax (if any, check with an Irish lawyer on this count) will apply. Your nationality is quite irrelevant to the matter at stake too. From what you say you are a French tax resident.