T Perrin C
T Perrin C, Consultant: information en droit du travail
Experience:  8 years as a Senior judge at Paris Conseil de Prud'hommes (Paris Industrial Tribunal)
46873171

Hi T Perrin C. I was in France for 3 weeks in June. Today,

Hi T Perrin C.

I was in France for 3 weeks in June. Today, I received a traffic ticket for speeding. I assume the rental car that was in my name was captured on camera and/or some type of automated radar equipment. I live in the United States. What are my risks if I ignore this ticket? Is there any way to get out of the ticket? I have noticed 3 additional charges for 25 euros on my credit card from Europcar. I'm concerned that this ticket may be the first of many to come. Would you agree? If I come back to France, but don't rent a car or drive, do I have anything to worry about?

Thanks very much,
JS
Category: French Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
I will notify T Perrin that your question awaits him. He will see it when he next checks his email.
Expert:  T Perrin C replied 1 year ago.
As the driver of the rental car you legally responsible for all traffic offenses committed while you drove it. Car rental company specify in their contracts that should you be caught by automated radars, they will send the police your details. This process, which involves quite a lot of administrative work is usually billed 25 € per offense. It would seem you were caught at least three times... and you should receive the remaining traffic tickets in the weeks to come.
You can pay the fines by credit card on internet. If you do not, you face prosecutions and much more heavy fines (a 45 euros fine can, in the end transform itself in a more than 1000 euros including penalties, interest, debt collection costs)... They will use a debt recovery agency and, should you evade payment, you risk being confronted with the debt if you ever cross a French border again (or one of the 27 Schengen pact countries as border control systems are interconnected)... Best advise would be, if you want to avoid the aggravation: pay the fines you owe...
I gather you do not have a French license or that of a EU country, otherwise you would risk losing it depending on how fast you were going when the radars caught you...
Experience: 8 years as a Senior judge at Paris Conseil de Prud'hommes (Paris Industrial Tribunal)